Active vs. Passive: An attempt by me to explain

This might be a really dumb question to you guys, but how does one go "active"? Is there a separate crossover unit like an equalizer that you buy or is this a feature that needs to be built into the headunit? Or can you go "active" by adjusting crossover points on the amplifier if it is capable?

This might be a really dumb question to you guys, but how does one go "active"? Is there a separate crossover unit like an equalizer that you buy or is this a feature that needs to be built into the headunit? Or can you go "active" by adjusting crossover points on the amplifier if it is capable?
All three options are possible. Some headunits are capable, you can use an offboard processor, and some amplifiers also have crossovers.

if you are going with a 2 way front stage + sub, the most practical and easier solution is getting an HU with a built in 3 way crossover. also going active is not using passive crossovers and using external crossovers either via processor, amps or hu. here's a list off the top of my head that has at last a 3 way xover:

clarion drz9255 (has a 4 way xover)

pioneer 860, 880prs

alpine 7998, 9813,9815,9833,9835,9855,9853

eclipse 8053, 8443,8455,cd7000, cd7100

not sure on the 5100 but i know for sure the cd5000 doesn't have it. and just going by eclipse's history, the 5100 shouldn't have it either. each year they have only one hu that has a 3 way xover. the 8445 didn't have it, neither did the cd5000.

not sure on the 5100 but i know for sure the cd5000 doesn't have it. and just going by eclipse's history, the 5100 shouldn't have it either. each year they have only one hu that has a 3 way xover. the 8445 didn't have it, neither did the cd5000.
Makes sense, I wonder why I thought it did, man I'm dumb lawl //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hahah. all good! even the best make mistakes every once in a while //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

Good information im really trying to follow this. im like a newbie at component's sad i know but this would be my first set of component's of me installing. i do have a couple questions if someone could post up here pm me bout it i would really appericate it.

1.) you take out the stock speaker but what do you do with the stock wiring do you use it or not?

2.) how do you hide the wiring for the crossovers

3.) how do you hide the wires for the tweeters

4.) how do you actually wire everything up .

Here is what im working with would really really appericate the help guy's sry i know im a newbie in this part of audio but i gotta learn some how:D. Most of the music i listen is rap once i have my system in that is but i do listen to techno , rock and metal also and i will be running for now a deh pioneer 4800mp.

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

two years later and still such a great tutorial. the ideas outlined in this thread are just now fitting together in my head.

this does not mean that the ideas take this long to understand, only that my venture has taken me on a 2 year path to reach the level of understanding that is presented in these outlines.

two years later and still such a great tutorial. the ideas outlined in this thread are just now fitting together in my head.
this does not mean that the ideas take this long to understand, only that my venture has taken me on a 2 year path to reach the level of understanding that is presented in these outlines.
20k post and it took you 2 years?!.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.