Active vs. Passive: An attempt by me to explain

two years later and still such a great tutorial. the ideas outlined in this thread are just now fitting together in my head.
this does not mean that the ideas take this long to understand, only that my venture has taken me on a 2 year path to reach the level of understanding that is presented in these outlines.
i agree... i've been an SPL head for about 7 years and this is the first time i've actually looked in this section //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and I have always wanted to know the legit and somewhat technical terms and differences... very good read!

I'm looking into this but not sure if my headunit will work.

it's an alpine 7894. Looking at the manual it says it has a built in crossover

HPF (Setting the High Pass Filter):

FLAT (OFF) ↔ 80Hz ↔ 120Hz ↔160Hz

Outputs all frequencies higher than that selected

according to your preference

and

LPF(Setting the Low Pass Filter):

FLAT (OFF) ↔ 80Hz ↔ 120Hz ↔160Hz

Outputs all frequencies lower than that selected

according to your preference.

(Only available when using the subwoofer output from

this unit.)

Since I am not running a sub that would make the LPF option not applicable.

So, that leaves me with only HPF. But I have a 4 channel amp and would need seperate settings for the front two and rear two, right????

Also, I though I read somewhere (maybe earlier in this thread) where the settings were changed in db's? but mine are settings for Hz????

I'm assuming my Alpine just won't do it. Anyone know for sure?

Here's alink to their manual.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/500/500CDA7894.PDF

Hmm..so what what be needed go active with either, an external processor?
I would say a capable HU and a 4 channel amp. Also some mids and tweets without the crossover. That's pretty much it. There are some other alternatives, but I feel this is the easiest way.

Not sure if there is a way with either of those. I believe you can hook an external processor up to the Alpine screens.

basic 3-way setup:

highpass tweets

bandpass mids

low pass subs

4-way (3-way fronts):

highpass tweets

bandpass mids

bandpass midbass

low pass subs

seems like a shitload of work lol
passive it is..
first thing i did when i started learning of this site was buy and alpine 9835 with the crossovers built in the hu and got rid of my passive crossovers. it is nice and one of the reason why i wouldn't buy and dvd unit. only units i would want cost over 2 grand! its very easy to do with and external crossover but it is really nice when the crossover is built into the HU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.