Amp suggestion for ~2000 RMS @ 1 Ohm

VWBobby
10+ year member

PG and SS nuthugger
West coast
Its been several years since I have posted anything here, so lets see how this goes. :)

Just like the title says, I'm looking for an amp that puts out approximately 2000 watts RMS @ 1 Ohm.

Its for a Massive Audio Hippo 122 sub.   I currently have a MB Quart Discus 1500.1 that has a cap that is starting to bulge/swell.....  I want to replace the amp.

Let me know what you suggest for a decent quality amp, good SQ preferably.  I would like to spend $200 - 300, if possible.

Thank you!

At 2000W @ 1 ohm and $200-300 here are my thoughts

1. Wolfram C-2400 if you can find one

2. VFL Audio ST-5500.1D, same amp as the Wolfram (prices vary so shop around)

3. Soundqubed S1-2250

4. Taramps Bass 3K

5. Audiopipe APMI2000 (Now called APMN2000)

6. NVX VAD2700.1 (Noisy fan, and if its like the 1700.1... power hungry

6. Orion XTR1500.1 ... Puts out power but is a little fragile from experience... they like to blow mosfets

7. Soundstream T1.4000dl, fairly common and somewhat reliable board..

8. CAB 2000.1... Meh

9. Skar RP2000 ... Produces a lot of power... Not great longevity... lacks features such as strapping capability found on a lot of other amps in this price range

10. Alphard Machete 2k... Same amp as the Skar for $40 more money...

11. Precision Power Black Ice 7000.1D... Produces a **** ton of power and is .5 stable... However reliability is suspect and you need a nuclear power generating station to keep the power fed to it.

There are others too I havent mentioned that I think will do well, but haven't dyno'd before so I cant vouch 100% on them... but I wouldn't look past a Lanzar Opti 2000 or 2600 if one came up.... Also the Soundstream T1.6000DL and Power Acoustik EDG-10000.1D will put out 2k... but I don't know how reliable they are...

Thank  you for the suggestions!

Bigblank69,  I really appreciate the budget gem or budget bust videos you make!  I bet it takes a good amount of time to test the amps and edit the videos. 

Thanks to those dyno videos I ended up buying the Soundstream T1.4000DL.  I happen to have the Tarantula 6.5's in my doors, so it will kinda match. You were right, it was easy to find, looks durable, and I've always liked Sound Stream products.....other than the ones that are total garbage these days.  I got the last one that SonicElectronix had in stock....found a coupon code and got it for about $206 shipped.  Can't really beat that for a decent amp that puts out 2K @ 1ohm.

The SoundQubed is kinda interesting.  It seems like a nice amp, just really boring looking and my non-car audio friends would have no idea what that is.  This is going in a somewhat show car, '65 VW Bus.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Smh….such a shame going with the cheapest amp in the bunch. I myself would have went with SQ. Not because it's too plain but a lot better quality built than SS.

Smh….such a shame going with the cheapest amp in the bunch. I myself would have went with SQ. Not because it's too plain but a lot better quality built than SS.
Definitely not the cheapest or low quality.  If specifications are to be believed, the Sound Stream has a better Signal to noise ratio of 104db, compared to "greater than 80" of the SQ.    There are a few other specs that may be considered better. https://soundqubed.com/product/s1-2250/

However, I agree that Sound Qubed amp may be a better built amp possibly.  Its also $70-80 more.  I just really don't like the name of it (I hate quirky misspelled names, and it sounds dumb to me 😂).  I have a bunch of amps that look similar to its generic heatsink design.   

If I was buying that type of amp again I would go with Sundown, DC, or some other amp with a higher resale value.

Just wanted to try something different, may return/sell it if I don't like the overall quality once it arrives.

There's much more to an amp than a single spec of just that, 104db. s/n ratio.  You'd be hard pressed to know a lot of o/s amps in the 90's were well above the 110 mark, as much as 120. Expensive power back then, not as much power as we have now, etc.

I myself would rather spend the extra $$ for a better built amp, regardless of the name. But it's your $$ not mine, free to choose what you wanna buy  and asked for our suggestions/help.

Its been several years since I have posted anything here, so lets see how this goes. :)

Just like the title says, I'm looking for an amp that puts out approximately 2000 watts RMS @ 1 Ohm.

Its for a Massive Audio Hippo 122 sub.   I currently have a MB Quart Discus 1500.1 that has a cap that is starting to bulge/swell.....  I want to replace the amp.

Let me know what you suggest for a decent quality amp, good SQ preferably.  I would like to spend $200 - 300, if possible.

For best amplifiers click here

Thank you!
Hi. 

Does the look have any influence? Do you want it to look great, or is that not important? 

Just don't go with some cheap-o option, as the sound quality and clarity will be very poor. 

I would strongly suggest going with the Soundqubed amp. They do well over rated power and can take a ton of abuse. We have one that we have done multiple tests on and clamped 2380 @ 1.2 ohm on 13.6 volts. My wife runs in the 2k clamped IASCA class and loves the amp. It has a basic look, but works great.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.