Amplifier advice

Participant count
  • Participants list

WIN27

CarAudio.com Newbie
NYC
I recently replaced the system in a C6 corvette. I put JBL component speakers in the doors, JL’s in the rear, and a JL 10” sub. I was very happy with the results. My problem lies in the amplifier. I bought a PPI i640.5 I wanted something small and efficient.

The PPI was actually small enough that I mounted it in the Bose amp location which is in the passenger side floorboard. There’s a carpeted flap that opens to give access. It is open at the top so it gets some air, but probably not enough.

The amp was only in the car a month or two and I rarely drive it. After an hour and a half trip at fairly loud volume now the amp just stays in protection mode. I was happy with the sound quality when it was working. The connections on the amp are terrible. It’s possible that a copper strand from the power touched the ground but I’m not sure. I checked all my connections are good. Speaker wires have continuity and the right impedance. Definitely nothing is touching now. Occasionally when I first start the car it will play briefly but then goes back into protection.

I bought the amp off Ebay. After I bought it I realized it was refurbished. They did give me a warranty. If I pay to ship it back and include a check for $20 they will send me another one. So I’ll have $40 in shipping for an amp I only paid $120-130 for. I have a feeling if I get another I’m going to continue to have an overheating problem.

Working on this car is the worst I’ve ever experienced. Moving the amp location just isn’t an option. I want to stick with a 5 channel amp that’s efficient because C6’s are known for battery drain issues. I was thinking of just spending the extra money to get a JL or Alpine amp. Would I have the same overheating issues? It looks like the other cheap 5 channel amps are made by the same company. They’re all very similar in build. Unfortunately I’m going to have an issue fitting any other amp in the same location. So I’ll probably have to figure out how to mount it under the dash. Which I’m worried about passengers kicking the wires. I’d try another PPI if you guys think maybe I just got a bad one. I really don’t want to deal with this again.

Sorry for the novel, I appreciate any advice

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.