Amplifier Ohm Preferences

Participant count
  • Participant list

ggieo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Why do people want to run their amplifiers at the lowest possible load? If an amplifier could produce 1000w at 2ohm and 2000w at 1ohm wouldnt it output the same power (1000x2 == 2000x1)? Would this theoretical amplifier make the same sub sound louder at 1ohm than 2ohm?

Why do people want to run their amplifiers at the lowest possible load? If an amplifier could produce 1000w at 2ohm and 2000w at 1ohm wouldnt it output the same power (1000x2 == 2000x1)? Would this theoretical amplifier make the same sub sound louder at 1ohm than 2ohm?
That's not how it works. It doesn't produce the same power at different ohms. Basically the lower ohms you go, the more juice you can squeeze out of that same amp. Often people that compete would go ridiculous low numbers like .25 or something. Most amps don't produce good numbers at 4 or 8 ohms so many of us choose to wire lower. There's still impedance rise involved so that means as you play music, your amp will fluctuate up and down on ohms. Say you gave your amp a 1 ohm load; then very rarely are you actually getting the full 2000w because it'll be chopped in half essentially as it jumps up in ohms. So in theory when your amp hits 2 ohms you'll be running 1000w, 4 ohm only at 500w, and so on and so forth. If your amp can handle it, it's beneficial to wire lower so even when the numbers rise, it'll still be within a reasonable wattage. It makes a huge difference, yes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.