Get Your SPL Related Questions Answered Here!

i've got a question i just entered my first show March 12th here in Columbus, Ohio, very PISSED off about the outcome. I have 4 audiobahn 1200q's and i hit 139.2 dB's on the get go and never went up on the meter. i'm having a custom box built and upgrading my 8gauge wire to a 0/4 gauge wiring kit and also bought a Mmats 2000 watt amp. i'm looking to try to get 152+ dB's what else can i got to reach my goal?

Thanks,

Rob

So when a sub is on...and playing, sounding great...then you try and turn up the sub output on your head unit...it sounds good till you start getting higher up....and it starts making that durr....durr noise when it hits hard...what is that...With the power your giving a subwoofer, and its playing...with more wattage what does that do...and also if you add the wattage, what does it affect, i understand it makes it louder...and hit harder...well thats if the sub can take it but presumably if you do give it more power is it likely to make the noise or is it going to get deeper and not affect it, my sub can take a clean 2500 watts easily and i have every intention of giving it to him but what im worried about is the durr noise it only happens at certain levels and you know what it sounds like everyone does...whats it saying my headunit is crapping out my amp is crapping out and needs more power or what? just a couple questions for all you knowledgeable people out there...i would really apprecaite it because i know my sub has the potential easily...most definetly...i just want to sound good in the process, because my seats are down and when im not trying to overpower it/ do what ever im doing to it...it sounds amazing..can someone anyone help this is Aka Noob/ A little Fyi because i knwo everyone has asked this question at one point in time....

im getting it metered to...

Mike

i've got a question i just entered my first show March 12th here in Columbus, Ohio, very PISSED off about the outcome. I have 4 audiobahn 1200q's and i hit 139.2 dB's on the get go and never went up on the meter. i'm having a custom box built and upgrading my 8gauge wire to a 0/4 gauge wiring kit and also bought a Mmats 2000 watt amp. i'm looking to try to get 152+ dB's what else can i got to reach my goal?

Thanks,

Rob
its all in the install

2000watts and a 152db goal... all in the install

i hit a 152.2 n 152.5 on the new audiocontrol..aroun a 149or so on the new TL

to reach this goal i had 2/0 wire from my bat straight to the amps

1/0 wiring for the big 3

2 straped power acoustik A3000DB's on 4 12" MTX 7500's in a SPL designed box CRX style tuned to 48hz

so like i said for u to get that 152...its all in the install n box positioning designing etc...

just dont get down after ur first event,, the first time i competed i hit a 141. now im at 150's. just try new things..remember 70%install 30%products

ok word. what kinda box should i use sloted port or sealed? and should i fire them straight up or fire them to the back? It's in a 2000 Ford Expedition
image.php

like that would be quite nice. LOL - its the CRX box that he made and is telling you to make(above)

you will ONLY want ported. sealed is for SQ and it wont get NEAR 150's the way you are talking.

lots of pore cross sectional area, high tune (5~10hz below resonant frequency of the car) and correct placement = teh score.

just a few tips ive seen around. but again, im no spl guy (i soon will know a bit more) so i dunno.

image.php

like that would be quite nice. LOL - its the CRX box that he made and is telling you to make(above)
thats not a CRX style box..thats my daily driving box

http://www.caraudio.com/vg/showimage.php?i=4481&catid=searchresults&searchid=1217

those are my SPL boxes..CRX style

CRX - Subs facing up, Port facing toward the back end of the car

dont do a sealed..ported is aroun a 3db increase from sealed

if u want to just make 1 box and still compete id suggest a tuning of aroun 35hz...SQL, daily for SQ n still can peak for SPL

thats not a CRX style box..thats my daily driving boxhttp://www.caraudio.com/vg/showimage.php?i=4481&catid=searchresults&searchid=1217

those are my SPL boxes..CRX style

CRX - Subs facing up, Port facing toward the back end of the car

dont do a sealed..ported is aroun a 3db increase from sealed

if u want to just make 1 box and still compete id suggest a tuning of aroun 35hz...SQL, daily for SQ n still can peak for SPL
whoops //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i thought it had a small port size. but like i said, im not SPL. i figured that was your box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

i stand corrected. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

this thread has been really helpful.

I'm now more confused than ever with my future setup possibilities..... this opened up a whole new range of ideas for me. I never even thought about TRYING to fire the sub into the cabin.

maybe I'm dumb for asking this......

but my friend showed me a link a lonnnnng time ago of some guy using crazy physics formulas to create sound out of tiny explosions..... his tweeters hit 170db and shot like 8 inch flames... and apparently are incapable of distortion.

can that be used in a car? get like 30 of those set up in a fireproof car and hit 9999999db?

Thanks to how thin this planet's atmosphere is, 180 is right about the physical limit of SPL production. Anything significantly higher than 180 (181,182,183) could be done underwater. But to answer that one, no. Plus I don't think anyone within audible range of you would think highly of you for going for an SPL record at 12,000hz. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I have a question of my own. Not entirely related, not entirely off topic. Are there official frequency ranges for subbass, midbass, midrange, and highs? I've always thought it was just two octaves up starting at 20hz. (20-80 subbass, 80-320 midbass, 320-1280 midrange, 1280 up highs)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.