Local Installer or BestBuy in Augusta, GA?

Participant count
  • Participants list

brody8898

So, I got a Dodge Avenger a little while ago. The factory set-up is awful, it only has four speakers to begin with and they're pretty crappy ones too. It's not that I'm an audiophile or anything, I don't much about brands/set-ups, but I do know these factory ones muffle and static if turned up too high. That; and the sound just isn't clear.

I'd like to have the four factory speakers (two in front doors and two above back seat) swapped out for better ones and maybe have smaller ones put in the in-dash speaker grills which currently sit empty. That, and I'd like a few tweeters.

I don't want booming bass or wake-the-street loudness, just good clear sound.

I'm also gonna leave the head unit alone as I don't like the "aftermarket" look. I found a few places in Augusta, Ga some with good reviews (Lawson's), some with not so great (Anything Audio). And then there is Best Buy which I haven't read much about.

Lastly; I'm broke, I'd like to just get better sound done by people who won't mess up my car. I could realistically only spend about $300.00 though.

Any advice?

im a crsa local, and no mater what speakers you run that factory amp will distort at a certain click of the volume knob, may be able to find some more efficient speakers that will get louder on less power

If it were me on a $300 budget I would try to find a nice head unit with room to expand later. I just picked up and installed a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for 225 shipped, then I bought all of the installation components that I would need to install the head unit which ran me another $80 with a steering wheel control module. Then I would do some research on how to install the head unit myself, it is actually much easier then most people think. If you buy the wiring harness you wont have to cut any factory wiring. When I installed that pioneer head unit in my 2014 WRX it made a HUGE difference in the sound quality. You will have much more ability to tune the junk sound out of the factory system.

I do not know if your car has a factory amp but that could change what I wrote above but in my opinion I would see what needed to be done to start with a head unit or save some more money and change speakers at the same time.

How does changing the head unit affect speaker sound? I'd really rather not do that.

Would it be difficult for me to install either of these myself?

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6.5-Inch Full Range 3 Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P165-6-5-Inch-Full-Range/dp/B0076SII5I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1391460102&sr=8-5&keywords=rockford+fosgate

Or, would that not help me? I have no idea if my car has an amp or not, or where it would even be.

This is the factory radio it came with. http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/2014/dodge/avenger/130sres/

How does changing the head unit affect speaker sound? I'd really rather not do that.
Would it be difficult for me to install these myself?

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6.5-Inch Full Range 3 Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

Or, would that not help me? I have no idea if my car has an amp or not, or where it would even be.

This is the factory radio it came with. Uconnect® | Systems | 2014 Dodge Avenger 130S/RES
because it is easier to make a bad speaker sound decent with a good source then it is to make a decent speaker sound good with a bad source. I have seen some really nice speakers sound like ***** because of bad install and Sh!tty amp/source.

because it is easier to make a bad speaker sound decent with a good source then it is to make a decent speaker sound good with a bad source. I have seen some really nice speakers sound like ***** because of bad install and Sh!tty amp/source.
So, could I swap the speakers and add an amp, or swap if my car has one?

the factory amps distort at a certain volume level, so any speaker installed will distort in the same volume setting. id add a after market amp and bypass the factory one. factory amp or a internal amp in the factory radio is basically the same thing. you could leave the factory radio and add a amp with a integration piece from audio control or cache. you could go with a cheaper one but the results can be less that stellar

So, could I swap the speakers and add an amp, or swap if my car has one?
The main question I would have is $300 going to be your budget period, or can you add more as time goes along? to be honest, and I could be wrong, but a $300 budget would be tough to add an amp, wiring, speakers, and pay someone to have it installed unless you bought all used and lower end equipment. If it were me I would buy one piece at a time. I know you said you weren't looking to blow your windows out but I am not to sure if the outcome would really make you happy. Would you be comfortable with installing yourself? I have no idea how your skill set is with working with tools in general, with a simple system it is pretty simple and strait forward to some people but for others it can be like learning Chinese.

You can spend $1200 on speakers and amps but if your source unit is garbage everything hooked up to it will sound terrible!

If you want to keep your stock look with the radio then invest the 300$ Into a decent sound processor it will make a world of difference as far as tuning and sound quality goes. You can throw in speakers and upgrade later

Just my 2 cents

I think I could do it myself, yea. If I knew where everything was.
What do you guys think about this Pioneer 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple iPodReady InDash CD Deck FH-X700BT - Best Buy with a few of the speakers I linked earlier.

Would that work?
Its pretty easy to find where all the stock stuff is on the internet these days, Youtube can actually be a pretty nice resource sometimes. Just search "head unit install dodge avenger" for example, you might be surprised on what you find. If you do a head unit and speakers I would just bypass the factory amp by running my own wires directly from the head unit to each speaker.

As far as that head unit that you linked, if it were me I would try to find something on the forum either used but in decent condition or try other sites then Best Buy. I'm sorry but I just have a hate relationship with Best Buy, they screwed me on an open box TV so I am a little jaded. I also think that you can find that head unit cheaper if you look around a bit. A local installer might be a good route to, you can usually haggle with those guys a bit and get them to drop the price by a pretty fair amount.

I hope I am not over complicating things for you when it comes to making a decision, I am trying to consider your goals when I post but I am just a very "bang for the buck" type of guy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...