My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

Calling all imaging experts!!! I was looking at my G6's dash and I have room all day to mount the tweeters on the dash or A-Pillars. Should I do this? The 6.5" mids will be in the lower door, there is no way around that but will having the tweeters on the dash or A-Pillars and the Mid-woofer down low mess up imaging? Will it matter with the DSP?

Second thought... On-Axis or Off-Axis for the tweeters with the mid-woofers being off axis in the doors? I mean do I aim both of those little fu**ers right at my face or slightly not directly at my face?

This is what I have been looking at... either the Alpine Tweets or the ScanSpeak Tweets but pods like this for sure for either tweeter. I'm pulling the trigger on the highs like REAL soon... REAL sooooon.

Alpine tweets 2.jpg

Tweet pods.jpg

SS Tweet.jpg

SS T Pods.jpg

Took out the lower back seat and rear deck cover. What a pain in the Ass!!! I replaced the Monsoon 6x9's with some cheap speakers. I was able to reuse the factory connector and spliced it to the new speakers. Luckily the new "throw away" speakers had the wires for the tweeter running externally so I was able to clip them and splice into them. Basically they are wired just like the Monsoon 6x9's were. I think I will make my own rear deck cover. Something able to be folded so I can install and remove it easier. I used some of my credit at the stereo shop to buy some used Sony 6x9's just for now so I don't hear all the crackling from the factory speakers. They are working well. I am going to make a removable third brake light as well... maybe Velcro to hold the factory housing.

I found out the right rear quarter glass had been busted out. I found the glass pieces under the lower seats... along with the source of the moisture (the under carpet padding). Obviously he drove the car for a while with the window busted out... including in the rain. Other than surface rust on non important parts, there is no structural rust. Since the seat bottoms are out I decided to use my Lexol leather conditioner after I cleaned the leather with leather cleaner. It smells MUCH nicer. That Lexol smells so good and as a bonus, the seats aren't slippery now. Once ALL the moisture has evaporated I will put the seats back in.

20181211_150917.jpg

Been thinking about this for a bit today. The pic above... Would it be stupid to build an amp rack here and not put the lower back seats back in? You know what... It's a good idea. Amp rack where the back seat used to be :)
Its your car and your system you will place in it.You do what ever makes you happy and works for you.

Its your car and your system you will place in it.You do what ever makes you happy and works for you.
I don't know why... but my brain kept telling me that the amps need to be in the trunk. They do not. There is a lot of room right there. I could mount the second battery, hide all the wires, make a beauty trim panel, make everything removable. I hate having people in my vehicles in the back seat anyway.

I don't know why... but my brain kept telling me that the amps need to be in the trunk. They do not. There is a lot of room right there. I could mount the second battery, hide all the wires, make a beauty trim panel, make everything removable. I hate having people in my vehicles in the back seat anyway.
I generally dont give very many a ride any more if any at all. Keeps the Insurance liability issue down quite a bit.Id utilize all the space Im willing to give up for sure.keeps things simple and a bit easier to access what is needed and room for ? needed.Its amazing what kind of custom work you can do with plywood, MDF or even ABS plastic, or fiber glassing, or Plexy for a custom finish

As I said... this is slow going but today I got the first pair of speakers for the Active Build. AND..... It is going to be a three way build!!! I was waiting to pick up my paycheck which wasn't at work yet so I stopped by the car audio shop where I had the credit. I ask the installer if he ever came across 3.5" speakers that didn't have a tweeter on them. He said only in a component set. I said yeah, that's what I found but I don't want to buy a 3 way set. He paused, said hold on and came back with these. These will do perfectly in the factory G6 3-way speaker pods. I paid the tax on them after they used up my credit. They said they were in their sop less than an hour lol. What do you all think?

Here are the speakers. They are DD Audio EX2.75 midrange speakers.

Specs: EX2.75

2.75"

25 - 75 watts rms

200 watts max

4 ohm

F.R. 160hz - 20khz

dbSPL 87

DD-1.jpg

DD-2.jpg

DD-3.jpg

DD-4.jpg

As I said... this is slow going but today I got the first pair of speakers for the Active Build. AND..... It is going to be a three way build!!! I was waiting to pick up my paycheck which wasn't at work yet so I stopped by the car audio shop where I had the credit. I ask the installer if he ever came across 3.5" speakers that didn't have a tweeter on them. He said only in a component set. I said yeah, that's what I found but I don't want to buy a 3 way set. He paused, said hold on and came back with these. These will do perfectly in the factory G6 3-way speaker pods. I paid the tax on them after they used up my credit. They said they were in their sop less than an hour lol. What do you all think?

Here are the speakers. They are DD Audio EX2.75 midrange speakers.

Specs: EX2.75

2.75"

25 - 75 watts rms

200 watts max

4 ohm

F.R. 160hz - 20khz

dbSPL 87

View attachment 3187

View attachment 3188

View attachment 3189

View attachment 3190
Those should do very nice.I think I have a really nice set of 5.25 DD mids sitting. Ill have to look. 

Those should do very nice.I think I have a really nice set of 5.25 DD mids sitting. Ill have to look. 
I haven't decided if I am going to use my Image dynamics set or get some Silver Flute W17RC38-04. What I'd like to do is junk my Grand Cherokee (ZJ) and get a regular Cherokee (XJ) and use the ID's in that.

Right now... I think this set-up for the 3-way front doors:

Alpine SPX-17Pro tweeters

DD EX2.75 mids

Silver Flute W17RC38-04 mid-woofers

The Alpines would be run off my "hidden" RF 250a2 amp, the DD's and SF's off the 4 channel US Acoustics Barbara Ann and the Dayton Ultimax 10 off the US Acoustics Mike amp. All controlled by the RF 3Sixty.3 all from the amp rack where the lower back seat would be. I should be able to make this setup sound great.... right?

What are your honest opinions on these tweeters?

Copper & Beryllium Alloy dome/ Aluminum face panel/ NEO magnet

impedance: 6 Ohm  sensitivity: 91db, power:50W, frequency: 800~~30KHZ, recommend crossover point:>2K  HZ

Copper Be 1.jpg

Copper Be 2.jpg

UT8f.1CXeXcXXagOFbXJ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your honest opinions on these tweeters?

Copper & Beryllium Alloy dome/ Aluminum face panel/ NEO magnet

impedance: 6 Ohm  sensitivity: 91db, power:50W, frequency: 800~~30KHZ, recommend crossover point:>2K  HZ

View attachment 3250

View attachment 3251

View attachment 3252
Hmm.. Beauts..Look expensive for sure.Ive never seen those to be honest.What brand are those? May be a bit bright/loud maybe being 6 ohm imo.Liking the Neo though

Hmm.. Beauts..Look expensive for sure.Ive never seen those to be honest.What brand are those? May be a bit bright/loud maybe being 6 ohm imo.Liking the Neo though
David Louis Audio and $89 for the set - brand new. I have seen a lot of listings on various sites and reviews have all been positive. All listings have them coming from China.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how the hell I am going to do this... Honestly, I am not far off from starting the build. The factory head unit is fully functional and it is sending signal to the trunk to the Monsoon amplifier. It shouldn't be a problem to pull the signal from the input to the factory amp and send it to the 3Sixty.3 but what the hell do I know about doing that? Nothing, I have never hijacked a factory signal... I am starting to get freaked out. I am trying to think logically about it... I am thinking the smart way to do it is to make a T harness out of the factory harness so that the factory amp is retained as well as anything that the car requires the amp for and the signal would still be able to be used at the 3Sixty??... but what do I do about remote turn on's for the 3 amplifiers and the 3Sixty??? Do I find an ignition source then use relays??? Something tells me this install is going to be a pisser. I can't find a wiring diagram that is for my car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...