Pioneer firmware update broke Bluetooth

Mooncatt

CarAudio.com Recruit
I bought a used Pioneer AVH-X4800BS, so I'm left to mostly trying to figure this out myself.

The radio worked great initially, but I noticed it had a firmware update available from 8.15 to 8.22. Originally I could set up the USB connection as a media transfer (for connecting a thumb drive) or App Radio app for Android. I kept it as media transfer for my thumb drive, and use the Bluetooth connection to my phone to access Pandora as a stand alone source with full app controls. 

After the update, the smartphone setup screen now allows either USB or wireless via Bluetooth. If I set it to USB, I can access my thumb drive, but the phone will not connect for media audio even though the setup screen shows the Pandora source (via Bluetooth) should be usable either way. The Pandora source is greyed out on the home screen. If I change the smartphone setup to wireless via Bluetooth, it completely deactivates the ability to access USB as a source option, thus no thumb drive access. I can access basic Bluetooth streaming via the Bluetooth source option, but then I still have to fire up and control Pandora on my phone. When I try to access the Pandora dedicated source, it instantly fails the connection.

I've already tried clearing the Bluetooth memory and re-pairing my phone. If the smartphone setup is set to USB, the unit only pairs with the ability to make calls. In my phone's Bluetooth settings, the media audio option is completely missing. If the smartphone setup is set to Bluetooth, I get the media option on my phone, but trying to the switch back to the USB option kills the connection and must be re-paired (again, only for calls).

I've already sent a support request to Pioneer, but also pulling out all the other stops trying to figure this out on my own while waiting for a reply. Hopefully there's a fix to this. Barring that, is there a way to roll back the firmware to regain full functionality? I've searched everything I can think of, but I'm not finding any other reports of this problem.

Im not exactly sure which vid they say it in, but they tell you how to roll it back if the update hoses something.
Ok. I'll try to look for it later when I have more time. I've watched several of their videos already while researching which unit I wanted, but I don't think I saw one describing how to roll it back.

Actually, you know what? I may just be an idiot. Lol. I was watching another vid and saw this image. Now that I think about it, I don't think I set the Device to "others" again after the update and subsequent reset. I think I skipped over that, leaving it on iPhone/iPod. I'll double check when I get off work. 

Screenshot_2019-04-29-12-55-21.png

Mhmm. I've done a number of radio installs over the years, but this was my first one with any sort of smartphone integration. I'm going to blame Apple for this, making me take an extra step to setup my Android. XD

Actually, you know what? I may just be an idiot. Lol. I was watching another vid and saw this image. Now that I think about it, I don't think I set the Device to "others" again after the update and subsequent reset. I think I skipped over that, leaving it on iPhone/iPod. I'll double check when I get off work. 

View attachment 5162
It's funny because my brother had the same problem with this Pioneer. It updated automatically and after that strange things started to happen. However, he went to the store, and some guys rebooted it, so it works fine after that.

Well the phone type was the problem and things are working better (a few minor bugs, but I can't complain for the price I paid).  I blame Apple for this! Lol

My philosophy is, if its not broke, dont fix or update it.  I've seen way more issues from android/windows updates, head unit firmware updates and sometimes its irreversible damage that needs a full factory reset or actual hardware replacement.  If you have some weird ongoing issue with the product and the firmware states it will fix it, then yes do the firmware. If its working fine and dandy, leave that **** alone!!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...