SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

Hope they show this time.

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00003.jpg

Yeah it's understandable enough.
Seriously though, build or buy a sealed box until you can get a properly built ported box.
Yeah my friend has an extra one.... hopefully id be able to get it from him. What would happen to the subs having it in the ported box?

Yeah my friend has an extra one.... hopefully id be able to get it from him. What would happen to the subs having it in the ported box?
If you're not sure of the actual tuning...

1.) They can sound like crap

2.) Mechanical failure(depending on the tunning)

And due to improper tuning it may not be loud enough for you, so you are more likely to clip your signal trying to gain that missing output, or low end extension.

If you're not sure of the actual tuning...
1.) They can sound like crap

2.) Mechanical failure(depending on the tunning)

And due to improper tuning it may not be loud enough for you, so you are more likely to clip your signal trying to gain that missing output, or low end extension.
1.)Okay... how do you determine what a box is tuned at?

2.) Also if a box is sealed does that mean it is not tuned?

3.)If not with a sealed box does different size sealed boxes sound better than others?

btw thank you very much

When the Sealed Deck Generator gets fully scripted using the proposed scripted language wink/hint to Detonator we might see fully configurable and possibility to simulate almost every game balance available.

What About Two Boss 15 In A Box That 40l,20h,20d With One Port In The Middle That 4 Inch From Back Of Box And Its A Four Inch Round Whole Oe Tube

What About Two Boss 15 In A Box That 40l,20h,20d With One Port In The Middle That 4 Inch From Back Of Box And Its A Four Inch Round Whole Oe Tube
Boss 15's work best free air. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Few quick questions about ported boxes

- Does the port location make much difference? I.E. front firing, top firing, rear firing or side firing

- Does the port need to be a least one port diameter away from the box wall sides, rear wall and edge of sub?

I heard this years ago and always made my ported this way, but i have a tricky install and wanted to know if any of these are true or would affect output/loudness or quality.

Thanks

Follow the link below and check out the tuning freq of their own recommended 32Hz tuned box with. Mathematically it is designed to be tuned at around 38Hz.
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W7_MAN.pdf

In fact all W7's, or other supersubs for that matter, need to be designed with box tuning that much higher (6-7Hz).

When we first started designing and building custom vented boxes for the W7's we wondered why the tuning always ended up way lower than predicted. In fact, the first 32Hz vented box we designed and built for a customers 12W7 ended being tuned at 26 Hz! It definitely perked my curiousity.

So a after a quick call to Hector at JL we learned that simple port formulas or programs like BassBox Pro cannot accurately predict what a sub/box combination will do once current starts flowing through a subs Voice Coil. Thats why the big shot's use programs like Leap which take into account many other factors. Basically T/S parameters and box calculators just get you into the ball park.

I've seen it first hand. All vented sub enclosures designed with port formulas our say BassBox Pro will tune lower than predicted. Most will tune about 10%-15% lower than predicted, with the supersubs usually being significantly more.
Even 6 years later this information is still very relevant.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...