Smell from new or few months old speakers.

Participant count
  • Participant list
So i need find out if anyone here has had the same smell I have had in a new or I should say, they were installed about 4 months ago. The speakers were a pair of Pioneer 6x8 4 way speakers installed in my rear panels in a Tacoma Xcab 2004 truck. It is hard to explain but i would tend to believe I am not the only one who has had the smell.
I will try to explain. The smell comes when i play my system at fairly loud volume. And it only has to be loud for about 5 min or so then i get this small from the Pioneer 6x8 speakers. It kind of a oil and electronic smell. I'm trying to describe the smell I never have had this smell before over the years of installs and speakers.
Is it bad or not. Is it the speakers have some oil in the voice coil that is heating up and smells or what. ????

let me know if anyone here knows what that is and what may cause it and if there is anything i can do. Well other then changing speakers out.

You're clipping the output of the amplifier or headunit. You are pushing the drivers too hard. Take off the door panel and feel the magnet of the driver when you smell it, you need to set your gains properly.

You're clipping the output of the amplifier or headunit. You are pushing the drivers too hard. Take off the door panel and feel the magnet of the driver when you smell it, you need to set your gains properly.

Pioneer TS-A6880F 6"x8" 4-Way Coaxial Speaker

Well i believe i have them gains set and even turned down a little and they are only the rear speakers and not my high def Pioneer TS-Z65CH high Def component speakers. I am running 2 Kenwood XR401-4 eXcelon high def amps 75 rms . One Kenwood to 4 corners and one bridged to subs. The pioneer 6x8 are if i remember 80 or 85 watt rms. The Polk MM501 5 1/4 component speakers that i removed did not smell and replaced with the 6x8. If i remember i did not change any gain on the amps. I just replaced the speakers in back and front. In my 2004 Tacoma Xcab the rear are mainly just for rear fill sound to balance the sound in small cab area. I know them Kenwood amps pump out good power. And if you have ever worked on an 04 Tacoma Xcab, the rear panels are not easy to remove to fill the speakers magnet. The sound is pretty loud in the small cab area. I can not even listen to it for to long before having to turn it down a little do to maybe hearing lose.

So maybe i am over powering the 6x8 speakers you think at high volume ?? Well they are only a 6x8 speaker but suppose to be good Pioneer speakers. I purchased a second pair of Pioneer TS-Z65CH components to install in the rear to match but found out i had to do a lot of customizing to make them fit and i did not want to cut up everything to make them fit. The Old Polk MM 501 5 1/4 components with 6x8 adapter fit with no extra customizing. The
6 1/2 i would have to cut metal and panel and all kinds of stuff to fit.

If you had read any of my other post you would have know that the Polk MM were the older 2 ohm models that gave me amp heat and shut down issues with my older amps . And i wanted to go High Def anyway.

So maybe i will turn down the gain little more or play with it and see what happens. If worst come to worst well I can maybe change out the speakers.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.