Speaker FAQ

Sounds like you have a ground noise problem. Are your RCAs close to your power wire? Do you have a strong STRONG ground? Did you sand off all the paint, etc...

Get the RCA's away from the power wire. Check and tighten all connections. Check the ground.

I've read through this whole thread and didn't really see what I was hoping to find so I'll ask.

I've read a ton of stuff about placing tweeters on or off axis. What does this mean and what are the pros/cons of doing each. Anything offerer is appreciated.

That will depend completely on the driver. Some drivers sound great on axis but terrible off axis, some are the other way around. From my experience most car drivers seem to fall somewhere in between.

On axis means pointed directly at you. Off axis means not point directly at you. Also 30° off axis will sound different than 60° off axis so that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

That will depend completely on the driver. Some drivers sound great on axis but terrible off axis, some are the other way around. From my experience most car drivers seem to fall somewhere in between.
That's to be expected. But what does on or off axis mean? I still haven't found an explanation for that.

I've read a ton of stuff about placing tweeters on or off axis. What does this mean and what are the pros/cons of doing each. Anything offerer is appreciated.
The axis refers to the aiming of the speakers in relation to the listening position. On axis is with the speakers aimed towards the listener, off axis is with the speakers aimed away from the listener. You'll also frequently see varying degrees of off axis aiming. Many frequency response graphs show 3 response measurements; 0* (On axis), 30* off axis, and 60* off axis. These of course describe how far off axis the speaker is aimed.

Pros & Cons? The graph below is the frequency response of the Seas Excel tweeter. Notice what happens to the response as you move from on axis (0*) to off axis (30* & 60*). Mind you that graph goes out to 40khz....all we really care about is 20khz and below. So one of the "cons" for off axis is definitely the effect off-axis listening has on frequency response. In the higher frequencies, off axis response is almost always going to deteriorate for just about any driver. And depending on how poor the off axis response is, it could result in having a relatively narrow "sweet spot" with the drivers aimed on axis making proper aiming even more crucial. The "pros" (for car audio) to off axis aiming could include better performance due to the interaction of the driver with the listening space and utilizing the off axis response to help create even output levels at multiple listening positions from both tweeters. One of the problems with car audio is that it's difficult to aim both drivers on axis to multiple listeners. One way to attempt to help cure this is by aiming both drivers about equally off axis to each listening position.

ok, i'm an audio noob, and i have some really basic questions. i have a 1998 honda civic that i'm interested in putting some audio equip in. i'm not interested in competitions or over-the-top bass or anything like that, i just love music and want it to sound good in my ride. after browsing the forums it seems like 3-way component speakers are a good pick for a decent price, but after squeak's first entry, it makes me wonder: do i need some amplification? (saying i'm on a tight budget is the understatement of the century.) i've been looking at head units to replace the stocker in there (the pioneer dehp4000ub is lookin pretty good right now) and 6.5" 3-way pioneer speakers up front with 6x9 pioneer 3-ways out back. as i said before, i just want my music to sound good, so will a setup like that be good enough for that or should i get some amps?

Speaker Quality; I'v been digging throught these threads and have seen members say that SENSITIVITY, and FREQUECY RESPONCE are not important when choosing speakers.

What are the important specs to look at while comparing speakers for qulity

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.