system advice

Participant count
  • Participants list

Greg Hertig

CarAudio.com Newbie
i am looking for advice for my new system.   I am not new to car audio, as I first installed a system almost 25 years ago.   That grew into a love for car audio, and I was really big into it in my early 20s.    I still love having great sound quality and to turn it up a bit, but since i just bought my first new car in almost ten years, it has also been almost ten years since I last did an install.  Knowing how many car audio manufacturers lie about output and quality, I was hoping to get some advice for my new build.  My primary purpose is going to be sound quality, but I also would like it to be able to thump.  Not looking to get into an SPL competition or anything like that, but enough to feel the bass, other goals are to keep it as stock looking as possible and to retain all stock storage areas.   My vehicle is a 2014 jetta sportwagen tdi, and I have a few ideas on what to start with from my browsing.  Total budget could be stretched to 2000, but it would make me and the wife happier if I can keep it significantly lower than that.   

head unit:   probably the biggest factor hear is going to be versatility.   I want a double din touchscreen display with wireless android auto.   3 sets of preouts, backup camera ability, ability to play cds and FLAC, retain steering wheel controls and have idatalink maestro compatibility.   Possible early candidate for this is Kenwood DDX9705 which is around 470.

Front stage:   The Sportwagen comes with a front 6.5", 4", and 1" tweeter.   I am leaning towards a set of 2 way components rather than three way due to cost.   Not too sure who makes good components now, but from my browsing, I am leaning toward JBL Stadium GTO600C.  I have used JBL in the past and always thought they were solid.   I also like that this set is at 2.5 ohms so I can get a bit more out of an amp.   I am really open to suggestions here, but I know I do not want to go active with the speakers and want to keep them passive.  I did an active setup about 15 years ago, and I would rather not go through that pain again.  i've seen the JBL for as low as 200  

Rear stage:   Yes, I want to keep a rear stage.   I understand imaging is typically better with just a front, but I have kids who ride in the back seat who want to get good effects from the sound as well.  The sportwagen has a stock 6.5" and 1" tweeter in the rear doors.   FOr the sake of simplicity, I am considering the JBL Stadium GTO600C again here.   Definitely open to suggestions though.

Subwooofer:   Not sure what to go with here.   I am planning on installing the subwoofer in a self made fiberglass box in the trunk that will tuck into the rear wall.   I don't have exact volume available since I did not make the enclosure yet, but it looks like it will be around 1 cubic foot.   Mounting depth can be a maximum of 7".   I should be able to go to as large as a 12" diameter fairly comfortably.   Sound quality is going to be more important than SPL, but the ability to go louder is also nice.  I really don't know where to go here, as the last subwoofer I bought was an Adire Brahma, which I loved (fairly obvious there as I still have it 15+ years later), but I do not have the room for it in the Sportwagen.   

Amplifiers:  Not sure here either.   I know Amplifier ratings were ridiculous on several brands back when I last did an install, and I know companies can change owners and become garbage overnight.   So I really don't know what is decent.  WIth that said, I also don't mind using brands that make outrageous claims as long as they put out the power I require.   I once used a power acoustik amp that was rated around 3000 watts, but it was benched around 500 which worked for the application I wanted.   The big thing I would want to do here is match power to speakers and subwoofer with a bit of headroom so I don't have to push the amps to 100% to get full capabilities of the speakers and woofer.  I know precision power used to be solid, are they still good?   I saw a few amps in there lineup that looked like they would meet my criteria, and were at a good price.   

THanks in advance for any guidance and suggestions.

When JBL came out with their components 19 years ago (at least at the store i worked at), they were "ok" vs what Kicker had to offer back then. Im gonna guess they havent really improved that much, but i could be totally wrong. For a moderate quality, the KS series is good, the older RS's from 2009 would be better, but run you about $250/pair, unless you stepped up to the SS or newer QS series for the fronts. This kit gets you everything you need and you can run the rears as coax if you wanted to lower the rear stage a little. The 800.5 is supposed to be pretty good. YMMV of course...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-KX8005-5ch-amp-a-10-L7-KS-6-5-components-6-5-KS-Coaxial-Speakers/153373623956?hash=item23b5c7c694:g:v48AAOSwO7pcYMsz

We have many things in common, based on your posting. I build a system in every car I own, just can't help it. The brands that made it through the grind of yesteryear are JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Audio Control Alpine, Zapco, Critical Mass. The brands that **** now are many but the most dissappointing are PPI, Orion, Soundstream. I bought some of the PPI amps and was shocked on the price. They are junk. One had a broken RCA panel right out of the box. I had them for about a year and they are both broken with very littel use since these were in a summer car. 

The new comers that are very impressive are Hybrid Audio Technology (although I fired them for bad customer service and support) Hertz. Diamond. 

The best subs for the money are Alpine. I often go exoctic and always come back to these. For about $200 you can get the Reference line. The S line is very good for less money. They always sound great. 

May be hard to do a whole SQ system for 2k with a head unit. I would suggest a mix of Rockford Fosgate and Alpine. Alpine speakers always impress me for the money. 

I did a recent build in a 2019 Forester Sport. Just got it dialed in, mostly. All Critical Mass. I wish I could afford this stuff back in the day. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.