Vintage Mind Blower speakers???

I know this is an old post but I have to chime in here. In 1978 a friend of mine had a pair of Mindblowers in an old Dodge Dart. The first time I heard them I couldn't believe I was listening to a car stereo. I'll never forget he was playing "you shook me" from Zep I , the sound was explosive to say the least. It wasn't long until I had a pair , 59.00 for the originals. I liked the originals with separate tweeters up front. I know Pioneer and Jensen were the big names back then but they didn't compare. When you hit the power plus switch , hold on. Mindblowers by Tenna anyday.
Woah! I had Mindblowers in my 1963 Dodge Dart in 1975-1976 in Pottstown, PA. They were awesome!!!
I used to listen to powerful, smooth, buttery bass on the Earth, Wind & Fire "Gratitude" album. They made my rear-view mirror vibrate so much, I only saw a blur in them.
I recall that they sold for about $60/pair. I blew a hole in one of the drivers and immediately went out and bought a replacement.
I sold that car with the stereo in 1976 to a friend.

A couple other notes about my 1963 Dodge Dart with Mindblower speakers:
They were mounted on the rear deck and, with the large trunk space behind them, they essentially made a massive speaker cabinet that handled immense bass effortlessly.
Also, I could pop open the trunk and it was an instant party. I can remember throwing frisbees and drinking beer with my friends while tunes cranked out tremendously from my trunk.

Yup, all that you would need for the perfect car stereo is a pair of these 60 watt rms 6x9’s and a couple of 12 inch funky pups. The sound would be so loud and pure that they would finally bring about Middle East peace.

Everytime I install modern stereo components, my father tells me stories of his audio systems back in the day, circa late 70's. Although the cars change in each story, he always mentions "Mind Blower" speakers. He said they were 6x9 speakers with thier own amps mounted to them. I did some research ad found out they were made by Pyramid. I would really like to get my hands on a set and surprise him on a future restoration project. Plus, I'd love to look at and hear these things. Anyone know where I might find some, or any other info about them?
I had a set and modified them with bigger power transistors. They were ok.. blew the speakers up and hooked amps to lifetime guaranteed Jensen triaxials.. blew them up too..

Yep had them (The 6x9 powered Mundblowere )with a Craig Powerplay cassette auto reverse deck, it did rock at the time, however we didn’t have these mega subs to make real thumping sound , but they were loud as mounting it in the back was to make the trunk a real big speaker box.Remember playing, Hair of the dog,Back in Black,Oh Yeah,Hotel California, The Logical Song, Spaceship Superstar , No One like You, 2112 , Stairway to Heaven, etc etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...