Who Competes?

stereo_luver
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm just wondering who here competes? I mean do you build just to have what YOU think is a nice system? Or are you building to compete? From what I'm seeing there are fewer people going to events and competing. The support for car audio is lacking to say the least. How many here actually go and attend events? If you don't compete what is holding you back?

Chuck

I used to, I held the local record for a long time and just got beat last year when I didn't attend. I switched to sq now though so doubt I'll compete again.

I don't compete mainly because I'm building to have a great system not just to score high. But in SQ which is my build I guess they are one and the same thing somewhat. If I ever get my midbass drivers installed and my HO alt installed I'd consider going to a comp and competing in the sq category. I could compete SPL but I don't feel like damaging my subs.

I compete when I can (s5, s1, and sq modified this year) and also judge here in ohio.

What I've found is most are either a) scared to find out their score or b)scared to get beaten in competition. People on the forums talk a good game, but enjoy the ignorance of not having someone against them in a given division. Then there's learning and mastering the rules. I get people that say "I don't understand the fuse rules" and don't even try meca for that reason.

I compete when I can (s5, s1, and sq modified this year) and also judge here in ohio.
What I've found is most are either a) scared to find out their score or b)scared to get beaten in competition. People on the forums talk a good game, but enjoy the ignorance of not having someone against them in a given division. Then there's learning and mastering the rules. I get people that say "I don't understand the fuse rules" and don't even try meca for that reason.
I was afraid of this. Most people THINK they have a good - great system and don't want to be judged for the fear of being told what is lacking in the system/sound. The judges are there for a reason. They give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. It HELPS you have a better system. You can ride around all day with what you think is a killer system. But have a trained ear have a listen and oops! You may be pulling a little to the left. Your midbass may be lacking around 125kHz. The stage may not be as wide as you thought. Where exactly is your center? Is your sub pulling you back to the trunk? Most of all are you afraid to be told what is wrong with what you are hearing?

Chuck

I was afraid of this. Most people THINK they have a good - great system and don't want to be judged for the fear of being told what is lacking in the system/sound. The judges are there for a reason. They give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. It HELPS you have a better system. You can ride around all day with what you think is a killer system. But have a trained ear have a listen and oops! You may be pulling a little to the left. Your midbass may be lacking around 125kHz. The stage may not be as wide as you thought. Where exactly is your center? Is your sub pulling you back to the trunk? Most of all are you afraid to be told what is wrong with what you are hearing?
Chuck
Oh yeah, and the people that consider themselves sound quality are the hardest to bring out. Their automatic excuse is "well its subjective it sounds good in my opinion" but the judging standards are clear enough for fair, consistent judging.

But keep hope aive my man! I believe the competition scene can gro and be like the old days again if we judges and event directors put the time and effort into promoting and getting sponsors

I just am not familiar with it and a little nervous about that. Never even been to one, do they tell you what category you should compete in and stuff, what music is acceptable do they play their own stuff like that I guess I just don't know a thing about them. That and I'm in MN not many comps here from what I understand. I don't know where to find info on when and where comps are stuff like that.

I just want to enter my ride, show up let them play whatever they want test it and give me the results, then check out other people's systems and demo my own maybe get lit/drunk and party a lil bit. It sounds like the prep work and music choice and stuff is a lot of work though

Chuck
Oh yeah, and the people that consider themselves sound quality are the hardest to bring out. Their automatic excuse is "well its subjective it sounds good in my opinion" but the judging standards are clear enough for fair, consistent judging.
But keep hope aive my man! I believe the competition scene can gro and be like the old days again if we judges and event directors put the time and effort into promoting and getting sponsors
seems to me you guys are talking more SQ/SQL than you are SPL burps. most guys i know dont want to go to a comp with there daily drivers when they get put up against a guy who has perfected his burp system. makes it much less fun for first time guys.

I compete with my daily driver / work truck. I go up against $$$$$$$$$$ and I have a fraction of the cost in my ride and I do my own build and tuning. Yep I'm SQ/SQL but that shouldn't be any different from SPL since there are classes with rules.

Chuck

I compete with my daily driver / work truck. I go up against $$$$$$$$$$ and I have a fraction of the cost in my ride and I do my own build and tuning. Yep I'm SQ/SQL but that shouldn't be any different from SPL since there are classes with rules.
Chuck
true, i meant as far as how the "sound of the system" was ya know. i compete in my dailr driver also, do my own build, do my own box, and spent my own money for everything in my car. so i know what ya mean

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

stereo_luver

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
stereo_luver
kennesaw, GA.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date