Wire Comparison

Is it possible that the plastic core really measured .075", not .175" considering the analog dial on the calipers used? Again, not bustin bal*s, just curious. Thnx!!

Dialgauge.jpg

Hey good point in what you pointed out!

each bundle is smaller in size as the piece of plastic in the center. I will get you a number when I go home next, in about 2 wks.

yes the center plastic core is 0.175 in diameter, what I did was simple subtract the core out of the major diameter to yield me a new diameter.

The total diameter jacket included is 0.7 (so almost 3/4 of an inch) the conductor diameter with the core is 0.45 (so almost 1/2 of an inch thick) which means the jacket 0.25 (so a 1/4 of an inch) think.

now I took the conductor diameter and subtracted the core diameter from it to get my new diameter of .275 (which is larger then a 1/4 of an inch) so this left me to believe that the core was about 1/4 % of the conductor diameter.

now I said the conductor is 40% of the total diameter, the jacket is 38%, which leave the core to be 22% of the overall total diameter. Keeping in mind that the 6 copper strands are smaller in diameter (not sure by how much but enough). Now if the copper and core was the same size then this would make your math work out to about ~14% as you stated above but since the copper is smaller than the core this make the percentage of the core increase. If this make sense. Well it did to me at the time back in the day lol.

let me know what you think also I when I go home next I will get you a picture of the core being measure, along with one of the ropes of copper and maybe I did this wrong from the get go but we will figure it out! in about two weeks time.

as for part 3 ya load testing a piece of 1/0 vs another piece of 1/0 in a LAB would be expensive. Now if I had a carbon load and a steady power supply then I could do it but those are expensive and I just got out of school.

I might actually do a load test on some of the wires in my own car one day when I buy a clamp meter, as kind an amateur thing but that is about all. I assume I will find out that each wire will be able to handle the load about as good as the next but we will see lol!

Wow I understand flexibility in wire as a convienvence factor ONLY! As for my credentials I am A Master Electrician and IBEW Lu 24 member. The wire size is based on a Manufacturing Regulation. If you were to incluse a piece of 1/0 thhn electrical wire it wire be very stiff and a lil thinner than the audio wire, but overall the current carrying capcity should be very close. A better test in my opinion would be a load test. I would take 10' lenghts of each wire and set up a load of some sort that is repeatable. This would also require a infared thermometer and in line ammeter since working in dc. I would be more interested in the numbers regurding temperature of wire and currant draw. Another test is a simple resistance test. Take the length of wire and place your meter at each end and watch how long for it to read. Visually all of them can look different because each manufacturer can use finer strands which leads to more strands to create the flexibility of the cable. But overall good comparison study.

Wow I understand flexibility in wire as a convienvence factor ONLY! As for my credentials I am A Master Electrician and IBEW Lu 24 member. The wire size is based on a Manufacturing Regulation. If you were to incluse a piece of 1/0 thhn electrical wire it wire be very stiff and a lil thinner than the audio wire, but overall the current carrying capcity should be very close. A better test in my opinion would be a load test. I would take 10' lenghts of each wire and set up a load of some sort that is repeatable. This would also require a infared thermometer and in line ammeter since working in dc. I would be more interested in the numbers regurding temperature of wire and currant draw. Another test is a simple resistance test. Take the length of wire and place your meter at each end and watch how long for it to read. Visually all of them can look different because each manufacturer can use finer strands which leads to more strands to create the flexibility of the cable. But overall good comparison study.
Hey I know what you mean about the load test. The only issue is I would have to find a source that would maintain the voltage for a long enough period. In regards to a load I was thinking a carbon load but as of right now the source and load would be out of my own pocket plus 10feet of wiring. Currently (pun intended) I just finished school and obtained a full time job as an Instrumentation Control Engineer and now my company is going to get me trained as an industrial electrician complete with an full apprenticeship to boot!

so down the road I may have some more money to play with and finish up this load test!

Wow thanks for the info. I am changing out my power wire today! I ran a Q-power power wire because I had it laying around. However I am switching to my Tsunami wire today!

Hi,

Does anyone know any websites that sells just a couple feet of 1/0awg wire? I just need a couple of feet to do my Big3. Thank you in advance!

This thread was pointless and your findings are invalid to show which wire is the best, or which wire is the best for your money
While i don't necessarily agree with this blanket statement, there is some truth to it. This thread is great from a bend-ability/flexibility and price comparison but it doesn't take into account the primary function of a power cable... the power. The true test to a power cable is how much power it can handle by measuring impedance/resistance, loss over distance, heat rating (ie how much amperage it can handle before it gets too hot), etc..

There has to got be some electrical engineers or EE students on this board that have access to equipment that can test this. Those kind of test will show you which power cable can most efficiently handle the kind of power pushed through a 1/0 cable.

Great job otherwise, it's nice to see all these cables next to each other for a visible comparison.

Craig - Who will probably use KNU Kollussus unless someone can run some power testing and show otherwise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.