10" Kicker to 12" Rockford Fosgate. Worth the change?

Imperiumwolf

CarAudio.com Recruit
Kansas
I have a dual 2 ohm 10" Kicker CompR on a Kicker 46CXA400.1T (400x1@1 ohm). Overall I'm happy but I'm wondering if I should move up to a 12"? I'm specifically looking at the Rockford Fosgate P2 dual 2 ohm 12". It'll work with both my amp and enclosure (Ram 1500 Fox Acoustics enclosure).

I ordered the Kicker from Crutchfield and I have a few other things I need to return.

I know all things being equal, 12's will generally play lower and louder than 10's, but would there be a noticeable difference between the two that would be worth the effort to send the Kicker back?

I have a dual 2 ohm 10" Kicker CompR on a Kicker 46CXA400.1T (400x1@1 ohm). Overall I'm happy but I'm wondering if I should move up to a 12"? I'm specifically looking at the Rockford Fosgate P2 dual 2 ohm 12". It'll work with both my amp and enclosure (Ram 1500 Fox Acoustics enclosure).

I ordered the Kicker from Crutchfield and I have a few other things I need to return.

I know all things being equal, 12's will generally play lower and louder than 10's, but would there be a noticeable difference between the two that would be worth the effort to send the Kicker back?
There will be a huge difference.

12s don't necessarily play lower than 10s. It all depends on the sub and the box. My first system with 2 10s in an unknown tune ported box played into the high 20s. My single 12" tuned to 32 or 33 doesn't hit the lows the way the 2 10s did.

That said, 1 10 vs 1 12 of the same brand in the right box may "play lower" but its more or less just playing louder across all frequencies because of the surface area.

All things being equal, the 12" will move more air. the box tuning will likely be lower too. I would think overall it will be a little better, nothing drastic, but better. you sure it will in the same box?

Never used fox boxes but from what I can see they are very small. It will for sure get louder but if you don't increase box size the low end extension will not change much if at all since the 10 inch requires less airspace to get lower (on paper at least). Plus you are In a truck cab. It's gonna be hard to get low cause cabin gain is working against you

Last edited:
Never used fox boxes but from what I can see they are very small. It will for sure get louder but if you don't increase box size the low end extension will not change much if at all since the 10 inch requires less airspace to get lower (on paper at least). Plus you are In a truck cab. It's gonna be hard to get low cause cabin gain is working against you
Yeah, the box is super small (1 cubic foot). I'm honestly debating now if I should just stick with what I have for the time being, and then upgrade later to a more powerful amp and higher end sub.

All my past systems have been in vehicles that I was able to fire towards the rear of the vehicle, so I'm guessing that the upfiring nature of this enclosure (coupled with low power and lower end sub) is the difference?

The depth of these two subs are very close. I would encourage you to consider the P3D4 12. Box volume requirements are almost Identical. The P3 has an aluminum cone, lighter and more ridged than the kevlar reinforced paper cone of the P2. Also, you can upgrade the sub amp down the road if you want a bit more from the sub. Have a look at both specs side by side.

The depth of these two subs are very close. I would encourage you to consider the P3D4 12. Box volume requirements are almost Identical. The P3 has an aluminum cone, lighter and more ridged than the kevlar reinforced paper cone of the P2. Also, you can upgrade the sub amp down the road if you want a bit more from the sub. Have a look at both specs side by side.

Honestly the P3 was my first choice, I was just unsure of how well it would perform being underpowered.

Honestly the P3 was my first choice, I was just unsure of how well it would perform being underpowered.
They do fine. For a while I powered my two P3 10's with just 500w. They did ok but they do much better on my 1200w amp. You have a Kicker amp... usually underrated and most likely puts out more than the 400w it claims. You can use it to "break in" a P3 ;)

They do fine. For a while I powered my two P3 10's with just 500w. They did ok but they do much better on my 1200w amp. You have a Kicker amp... usually underrated and most likely puts out more than the 400w it claims. You can use it to "break in" a P3 ;)
Yep, the birthsheet says something like 432 watts (can't remember off the top of my head).

I know all things being equal, 12's will generally play lower
Yeah, the box is super small (1 cubic foot). I'm honestly debating now if I should just stick with what I have for the time being, and then upgrade later to a more powerful amp and higher end sub.
All things being equal would be a different sealed enclosure for the 12. 1ft3 for a 10" sub should be increased to give the 12 the same resonant frequency. Then any difference between the 2 would be easier to determine. That said, throwing a 12 into a box where a 10 is currently is almost certain to disappoint in my experience. Even added power will only make the thing knock more not extend deeper. Add the small cabin to the equation and you'll likely be knocking away strong in the 50-60s with weak lows.
I'd try ported for that 10 1st myself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Imperiumwolf

CarAudio.com Recruit
Imperiumwolf
Kansas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies