2 12's or 2 10's in the same size box?

killeraxemannic
10+ year member

Colorado
I am looking to get some subs for my car. The ones I am pretty well set on are the Infinity Reference 1262w or the 1062w. I found a premade box that will fit in my car absolutely perfect. It comes in either 12in or 10in with the exact same outside dimensions. 1.06 cubic ft per sub in a sealed box. The 1262w's say optimal size for a sealed box is 1.25 cu ft and the 1062w's say .75 cu ft. I can get both the 1062w and the 1262w for almost the same price. Do you think I should get the 12s or the 10s?

The amp I have is the MB Quart OA1550.1D. I don't have access to any shop or tools to make my own box so that's out of the question.

If you're set on these go with the 12's (more cone area) and put some polyfill in the box.
The reason why I am set on the Infinity's is because I have had Infinity subs before and liked them, and I don't think you can find a much better sub for $54, that takes the wattage these do and has dual voice coils. If there is something better out there for the same price I would be interested.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the subs, I just meant that if that's the combo you're set on I would just use some polyfill to make the box "big enough" for the 12's. If you went with 10's you could just and some 2x4's to the inside of the box to take some of the volume out to make it closer to the recommended air space!

I would buy the tens and run them in the box as is. Polyfil will not make the box seem ½ cubic foot larger but, running the tens in more than recommended volume will improve low end response to some degree. It won't make much of a difference given that the box is sealed but, it certainly won't have a negative effect on how the subs sound. Putting 12s in a tiny prison cell will, though.

I would buy the tens and run them in the box as is. Polyfil will not make the box seem ½ cubic foot larger but, running the tens in more than recommended volume will improve low end response to some degree. It won't make much of a difference given that the box is sealed but, it certainly won't have a negative effect on how the subs sound. Putting 12s in a tiny prison cell will, though.
I assumed it was 2 separate chambers so .19 of difference per side and figure the polyfill could make up that much difference...

Looking again at the dimensions I think I had my math wrong. I think it's actually more like 1.2 cu ft per chamber. Thats really close to spot on for the 12's that want 1.25 cu ft.

Looking again at the dimensions I think I had my math wrong. I think it's actually more like 1.2 cu ft per chamber. Thats really close to spot on for the 12's that want 1.25 cu ft.
to be honest man if your going sealed it doesn't matter too much about cubic foot. You can be .3 cubic feet off and it would still sound similar. All that matters is power handling, in a bigger enclosure you'd need a little bit less power to get it moving properly, meanwhile smaller enclosures would need more power. You'll feel a little bit different in the frequency response but its a very tiny change since sealed boxes have a really flat response curve, you'll be hitting the notes you need to hit just fine.

If your still really meticulous about this, You might want to account in how much cubic feet the sub takes up too.

Have enough power on tap and you can get whatever sealed box fits your car and it'll sound good decent.

to be honest man if your going sealed it doesn't matter too much about cubic foot. You can be .3 cubic feet off and it would still sound similar. All that matters is power handling, in a bigger enclosure you'd need a little bit less power to get it moving properly, meanwhile smaller enclosures would need more power. You'll feel a little bit different in the frequency response but its a very tiny change since sealed boxes have a really flat response curve, you'll be hitting the notes you need to hit just fine.
If your still really meticulous about this, You might want to account in how much cubic feet the sub takes up too.

Have enough power on tap and you can get whatever sealed box fits your car and it'll sound good decent.
I think I will be good on power. The amp I have should be able to put out 550W RMS to each sub if I run them at 2 ohms and the subs are rated for 300W RMS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.