4 10"s couldn't do it, can 4 12"s???

Participant count
  • Participant list

oxsign
5,000+ posts

No Affiliation
Orlando, FL
I took out 2 15"s I had in my truck to try 4 10"s. Although they do sound great, they just don't dig as deep or get as low as the 15"s did. So i'm wondering if 4 12"s could??

The 4 10"s were short of the cone area of the 15"s, but the 4 12"s would be more. With the same space as the 15"s (10.5 cubes after all displacements) and the same power (AQ3500.1D 4300@1ohm) can the 12's do it??

What are your thoughts??

Why did you take the 15's out? I'd choose less large subs over more small subs.

Less cancellation and such. I think cancellation may be my current problem. Going to re-do the wall if the subs don't sell.

You could run one of my 21's in you had enough box volume for two 15's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Same cone area and would eat on that power

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

The 10s can do it.
He just said they didn't do it, lol

your going to loose a TON of output trying. Id suggest the 12 or **** go back to the 15s.
Wat

The 10s can do it.
They are in 5.5 cubes tuned to 29Hz (same as the 15"s) and on the same amp @1ohm. They are not cutting it. Falls right off at about 32Hz.

Why did you take the 15's out? I'd choose less large subs over more small subs.
Less cancellation and such. I think cancellation may be my current problem. Going to re-do the wall if the subs don't sell.

You could run one of my 21's in you had enough box volume for two 15's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Same cone area and would eat on that power

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

He just said they didn't do it, lol

Wat
I have the 10"s & 12"s sitting here and I thought I'd give them a try to make sure before I spend the money to buy a solid set of 15"s for the setup.
your going to loose a TON of output trying. Id suggest the 12 or **** go back to the 15s.
With the 10"s?? That's kinda what I found out this weekend, lol.

I have the 10"s & 12"s sitting here and I thought I'd give them a try to make sure before I spend the money to buy a solid set of 15"s for the setup.
What subs exactly?

Didn't know you already had the 12's.

If you keep the same size box and just move up to 12's, you're problem of not having lows won't be fixed. Gotta make the box bigger if you can and tune lower

some woofers just naturally roll off alot higher than others. its part of the physics. and getting the same bandwidth from the tens as the 15s will result in lower output levels. 4 12s will do it wil similar output levels depending on the woofer and alignment

Four 12s will hammer. My buddy has 2 zv4 12s doing 151db from the trunk at 28hz. I could only imagine four... His box for two is 6cubes after displacement with port 10"x7" tuned to 28hz...

What subs exactly?
Didn't know you already had the 12's.

If you keep the same size box and just move up to 12's, you're problem of not having lows won't be fixed. Gotta make the box bigger if you can and tune lower
The 15"s were/are CT Stratos. The 10"s & 12"s are CT Mesos. The box I built for the 10"s is smaller at 5.5ish. But the box I'd use for the 12"s is 10.5ish both tuned to 29Hz.

some woofers just naturally roll off alot higher than others. its part of the physics. and getting the same bandwidth from the tens as the 15s will result in lower output levels. 4 12s will do it wil similar output levels depending on the woofer and alignment
That's what i'm finding out. I'm a low end kinda guy, and like my bass where I can feel it rumbling, lol. I'm not really into the "punch" bass or anything above say 38-40Hz.

oLd paul down in texas this weekend did a 154.7 with 2 DB driver 12s.. thats impressive!
Those are nice numbers. I'm done with the numbers though. I want it to sound loud to the ear (and body) vs the mic. It's a daily in my Avalanche (literally all day driving every day).

Nice. If I go back to just 2 subs, i'll go back to 2 15"s again. I'm just wanting to try everything before hand to make sure 15"s is the way to go. Not sure if I want to take the time to bother with a new baffle for the 4 12"s or just buy new 15"s and be done with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

oxsign

5,000+ posts
No Affiliation
oxsign
Orlando, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date