8 cheap subs or two awesome subs?

ryanwalker007

Can someone point me to the thread regarding which is better, 8 12" ok subs or 2 12" monster subs? Im sure this has been asked and answered already, but I can't find it.

Basically I have a Sundown SAZ-3000D. Good for 3500 RMS @1ohm.

So, heres my thought. 8 regular ol subs with an RMS of 450, dual 4 ohm vc's wired down to one single 1 ohm load. That spreads my 3500 RMS watts across all 8 of them, which should be slightly below their 450 RMS (Given this is a perfect world and everyone's numbers are 100% accurate). Im thinking thats 96 inches of woofer (8 subs x 12" each=96). thats a lot of air moving.

OR

Two monster subs that "can handle" 2000 RMS each with dual 4 ohm vc's wired down to the same 1 ohm load. (24" of woofer 2 subs x 12")

Space is not a factor for me. I just want plain old loud, bone hurting loud. SQ is not a huge concern, but of course its always a bonus! Thanks for any help or pointing me to where this has already been discussed.

definitely 8 12's.. i did a budget build with 4 mediocre 12's and it was loud as @#$#^& !!! lol
I was actually thinking about 8 of those subs that you had. For $50 each, its dirt cheap but still spreading out my 3500 watts nicely. And if I get the trunk flex you did, ill be happy!

Although it's been popular to use a single sub with ginormous xmax so people can say, "Look ma, it's only a single 12" woofer making all that noise"! ...The 8 cheap subs will typically give you more extension (lower frequency response). I highly recommend it.

Although your methods of calculating cone area are completely wrong, in this situation you were correct. The 8 12s has much more cone area and could get louder but thats only if you have enough space to build the proper sized enclosure and are not trying to squeeze them in

I was actually thinking about 8 of those subs that you had. For $50 each, its dirt cheap but still spreading out my 3500 watts nicely. And if I get the trunk flex you did, ill be happy!
if you run 8... give em about 2600-2800w... and they will sound off no doubt!!! and the xw12 kenwood excelons are better than the 3013s if you can find em but the are both really close...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.