8ga main power, 65x4 W amp, and ... amp?

sumone
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Midwest
If I decide to run two different amps (a 4 channel for the components and a 2 channel for the sub), what should the maximum power be if my main power wire is gonna be 8ga?

like is this okay:

battery->

8ga power->

[10ga->amp1 @ 65x4 W] && [10ga->amp2 @ 100x2 W]

I would just run 8ga completly rather then going down to 10ga. Also if your going to be using two amps for different things, I reccomed getting a crossover. That would send only mids/highs to the amp for the components and only lows to the amp for the subs.

ahh...yea I guess I will just run some 4ga (the 8ga is only half-run: only under the sills; not in the trunk yet or even out the firewall yet)

walmart have distro blocks - anyone know - ~ how much?

okay picked up that kit yall were talking about(4ga->2 8ga's)

- wired it up

- problem: the 4ga cable is too short - only found out after I already routed it into the trunk and then was trying to get it through the firewall - it doesn't even reach to the firewall. Now I know I don't need much length for the cable in the trunk cause I have way more than enough 8ga wire (the one 6ft from this kit, and the 16 foot one I had for my 8ga kit).

is alright to crimp some extra 4ga wire with a butt connector to the long one and then use that to go to the battery?

okay picked up that kit yall were talking about(4ga->2 8ga's)
- wired it up

- problem: the 4ga cable is too short - only found out after I already routed it into the trunk and then was trying to get it through the firewall - it doesn't even reach to the firewall. Now I know I don't need much length for the cable in the trunk cause I have way more than enough 8ga wire (the one 6ft from this kit, and the 16 foot one I had for my 8ga kit).

is alright to crimp some extra 4ga wire with a butt connector to the long one and then use that to go to the battery?
Yes. shrink wrap the connection.

Or if you're close enough to the battery.. just put the fuse right there.. and then continue the run on the other side of the fuse to the battery. I would only do that if you are within 18" of the battery though...

T.J.

okay, since today I was so eager to run some wiring and set stuff up, since I don't know how to work with 4ga wire (tools-wise), and since it's too short (only comes out the firewall about 2 feet, with about 3 feet in the trunk), I just wired one 8ga power wire.

Right now I only have that one 4 channel amp. I'm thinking about all this stuff now in case I decide to do something for rear fill - in that case, I'll use the 4 channel for the front stage and rear fill, then get a separate amp for the sub.

never knew how thick 4ga was...but to me it seems like overkill for my [planned] system. I was lookin at the back of that kit and it was like @16 feet and total continuous power @ 600 Watts, I should use the 8ga kit. So I'd never need that 4ga wire (but the other stuff that came with it were very helpful). (I'm an sq, very-minimal-volume-outside-the-car-with-windows-up type person).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.