A bigger box?

xSomeguyx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SCS, Mi
Ok, so I'm going to be building a box for an Infinity 1030W sub pretty soon (gonna be my first box!), and I'm not sure how to go about it. They suggest a .75 cubic foot box, with an inch of fiberfill or fiberglass on every side inside. Now I've heard that using fiberfill will make your box sound larger than it really is, so would it make sense just to leave that out, and just make the box larger? I've got access to all the MDF I would need, but fiberfill is another matter.

Should I even worry about this sort of thing? I don't mind making a bigger box at all, but I don't want to use fiber-fill. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

1030W specs:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='1030W'&Ser=REF&Cat=SUB

1030W Install sheet:

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Technical%20Sheet/Ref1030w%20Tech%20Sheet.pdf

**EDIT**

I just got this back from the Techs at Infinity:

"Typically speaking, if you won't use insulation, you should build the box roughly 10% larger. So, instead of a .75 cubic foot box, build a .825 cubic foot box, but don't forget to allow for the woofer displacement, which is roughly .2 cubic feet. So in the end, build a 1 cubic foot box, and youwill be good to go."

Anyone want to comment on this, whether I'm good, or if it needs any modification? Thanks!

Yup, another good example of Infinity ******* the big one. They ****... **** **** ****. You **** Infinity.

Bad service + easily breakable products = you're on your own

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.