Am I doing it wrong (testing coils)?

Imperiumwolf

CarAudio.com Recruit
Kansas
I posted the other day about being disappointed in the Kicker Comp R I recently installed. Low output and distortion when barely turning up the gain.

Today I decided to pull it out of the box and test the impedance. It is a dual 2 ohm sub. I set my multimeter to the 200 setting. The readings change when pushing on the cone, but at rest both coils read 0.0.0.

Am I doing something wrong or is the sub toast? I got it through Crutchfield's outlet store, so I'll return it if I have to.

Am I doing something wrong or is the sub toast? I got it through Crutchfield's outlet store, so I'll return it if I have to.
Before testing, touch leads to each other. You should get zero Ohms.
Place subs face down to keep the cone from moving. If still in the box, place something on top of the cone or push it against some steadfast surface.. When the cone moves even a smidget, it creates an electric current that affects the reading.
200 Ohms is the correct setting for low resistance readings.

Before testing, touch leads to each other. You should get zero Ohms.
Place subs face down to keep the cone from moving. If still in the box, place something on top of the cone or push it against some steadfast surface.. When the cone moves even a smidget, it creates an electric current that affects the reading.
200 Ohms is the correct setting for low resistance readings.
When touching them together, the numbers bounce all over the place but eventually end up at zero.

When you gently push down on the subwoofer cone, center / evenly, does the cone move freely and smoothly?

Do you have any other fully working speakers you can measure the ohm of to kind of rule out your meter?

When you gently push down on the subwoofer cone, center / evenly, does the cone move freely and smoothly?

Do you have any other fully working speakers you can measure the ohm of to kind of rule out your meter?
It's stiff but it does move. I just figured that's because it was new. There's no scratching or scraping sounds when pushing on it.

I totally forgot until you mentioned it (brain-dead moment), but I do have the stock speakers that I removed from the doors I could test out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...