amp question

scono
10+ year member

seatown
aright I had my system for 1 day really and today when I was driving home just now my subswoofers shut off and never came back on

when I checked the amp it was pretty **** hot so is there a possibilty that the amp is fried?

its the soundstream edge series

oh and the amp got cold after that which means that it wasnt working so either it got fried or something to do with wiring...

I did glance and the wiring and nothing really came apart or anything...

check the fuse on the amp, and the fuse on your battery going to the amp. maybe it overheated & blew fuses if you were playing it loud for a long period of time.

It could have blown the speakers then due to the sudden change in the circuit it could have messed up your amp. Or you speakers could have blown and because you my not have turned down the volume IMMEDIEATELY after they went out it could have tried to come out of protection and messed itself up. Or something could have just gone wrong with the amp. A quick test to see if the sub is completly blown is to take a AA battery and connect it to the terminals.. if the sub moves foward or backwards then in may not be your sub... It will only go one of those two ways it won't make a tone or anything just maybe a quick quiet thump when it first connects.

Oh does the amp come on at ALL or does it come on but stays in protection... if it stay in protection disconnect the subs and try and turn it on again if it is still in protection then it is more than likely your amp.

you were right bigred, nothing wrong with the amp just the woofers

the tinsel leads were too long and they touched each other so taht lead to a blown fuse

Did you ever find out what happened? I was thinking about getting the edge series for my highs/mids. How did your setup sound anyway?

As for the amp, I had a ppi running 2 jl12w4's a while back; and i installed everything the first night i got everthing. Anyways, the amp shut down after i pounded it, and man did it pound until it shut off...and i was scared to hell that i blew something.

well i brought it to a shop after i checked the wiring/fuses/connections, etc over about ten times b/c i was worried. so i brought it to a local shop & they ended up fixing the problem, and said it was a faulty ground. don't know how, but they fixed it.

good luck, hope nothing's blown.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.