Amp replacement, speaker wiring.

Participant count
  • Participant list

ericfg

Hello. My first post here.

My previous sub amp quit working (along the lines of the 'inline fuse' thread below) and has been replaced.

The system:

old amp - PPI A600 2 channel bridged

subs - 2 12" Mmats SVC Wavedrive(?) wired in series

new amp - RF Punch 4080DSM 4 channel bridged

I'm following the RF manual in wiring/bridging.

The Rear output Left+ goes to the speaker Left-

The Rear output Right- goes to the speaker Right+

The Front output Left+ goes to the speaker Left+

The front output Right- goes to the speaker Right-

Is this series or parallel? What kind of impedence are we looking at?

The reason I ask is this amp is *much* smaller than the old amp but is much louder now as wired above. I have the gain almost all the way down. I'm thinking I'm putting the amp at risk with a low load.

I have only two channel input to this amp at the moment and that is why the manual recommends this wiring (with the 180 switch enabled). I can easily make it four channel and then wire the speakers in simple stereo. Would this result in different (4 ohm) impedence (and therefore be preferable)?

I hope this explaination is clear. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

TIA

Eric G.

It appears that you simply have it bridged and have it seeing a 8ohm total load. That is, assuming your speakers are 4 ohm each. I dont see a problem myself.

Thanks!

But then why is it so loud? At 8ohms we're looking at about 110 watts. That A600 had 5 to 10 times more good, clean HQ watts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.