Amplifier in Protection Mode When Starting Car

lem423ro

CarAudio.com Newbie
I just upgraded my stereo system by installing new speakers, an equalizer, and an amplifier to an existing head unit. The stereo is an older Custom Auto sound that's in a classic car. When I 1st installed the components I was having noise issues and sound out of the speakers would cut out. Since, I have rewired the power and ground from the components to the battery directly. I have also installed a new alternator.

Now I'm experiencing a new issue. When the ignition is in the on position, without trying to start the car, everything works just as it should. As soon as I start the car, after about 10 seconds, the amplifier goes into protection mode.

I'm assuming the amplifier is sensing some sort of voltage drop or something else but not sure. I'm getting a new voltage regulator today for the car to see if this is the issue.

Just curious if anyone out there has ever experienced this.

Photo
  1. No
Just curious if anyone out there has ever experienced this.
If the alternator repair does not fix the issue, I would blame the radio. Being that it is the only common denominator I blame it.
On second thought, being your car is a restorarion, does it have an MSD ignition? Another user pointed this out in his resto mod as being his issue.

If the alternator repair does not fix the issue, I would blame the radio. Being that it is the only common denominator I blame it.
On second thought, being your car is a restorarion, does it have an MSD ignition? Another user pointed this out in his resto mod as being his issue.
No, I don't have an MSD Ignition. Yesterday, I replaced the Voltage Regulator, Radio Noise Suppresion Cap that mounts to the regulator, the Distributor Coil and Condenser Cap that mounts to the Coil. I finished it all up and then walked away from it. Tonight I'll try everything out again. It's strange that it only goes into protection mode when the car is running which seems like it's something within the charging system or something affecting the constant output from the alternator. Tonight I'll also run some voltage checks.

While I'm jumping the gun because I haven't tested since my replacement of parts, I've read that a faulty ignition switch can cause irregularities in systems.

Tested the system and now the amplifier isn't going into protection mode. New problem... as I push the accelerator pedal down the speakers start poping, which appears to be a result of the alternator pushing more voltage out. I hit a max voltage of 15.72. Next step tomorrow is to bypass the equalizer and see if this might be causing the issue, since I'm wired from the radio, to the eq, and then to the amp then to speakers. However, at this time I was hooked up to the eq via a BT adapter wired to the eq aux in playing from my phone. This is a PITA to figure out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

lem423ro

CarAudio.com Newbie
lem423ro
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date