anybody else eva thought of this?

chronicblazen
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
im all over here thinkin im a genious or sump, cus i came up with this idea all by myself, but ****, for all i kno all yal people prolly done this before, or have it in they're set up... ok this is what i did...

i wanted to hook an amplifier to my inside speakers, and since all the speaker wires lead to the head unit, i thought i would have to have the amp near it also, but didnt have any space... also thought about running wires from up there, all the way to the trunk... but it was too much wires, and took up too much space, since i had already a whole bunch of wires to run two amps in the back (2 set of RCAs 2 remotes, 2Batteries, etc). so here is when that light bulb clicked in my head...

my speakers are all 4 ohm. the amplifier im gonna use is only two channel, but two ohm stable... what i did was, disconnect all four speakers from the head unit, tie together both negatives from the left, both positives from the left, both negatives from the right, and both positives from the right. I'm assuming i've just wired them parallel, because i don't know what these wires do along the doors, and dark corners underneath my upholstery. ok, wired them parallel, bringing the resistance down to 2 ohms. now i run a cable inside the trunk, from the rear speakers, to the amplifier. meaning from the left one, connected to positive and negative, then to the left channel in the amplifier, and same thing on the other... turned it on, and magic. i guess is newbie luck how i came up with this. my sound sounds ten times better. okay, out of all of this, i only have one question... where can i hook up tweeters to? i have stock ones, but i don't know where do those cables go to. the cables that come from the car, i've only seen the eight for the four inside speakers, plus obvioiusly the red, yellow, red and remote. thanks for all your help, and you can take advantage of this "beginnner so called discovery". thanks again

Well, the tweeters are more than likely tied in with your front speakers (like in mine). The real question is, HOW are they tied in? Mine are in series, as I would expect others to be, but it's hard to tell.

how difficult do you think it will be to undo them from series, if they are in series, and hook them up directly to my head unit? meaning taking the upholstery apart, i guess.... i've never opened my tweeter compartment, i guess i should start off by that... anybody got any experience wiring tweeters? thanks

ps i dont wanna leave them in series cus im powering these four speakers with an amp.. surprised they havent messed up the amp cus i have the speakers wired in parallel, left front to left rear, and right front to right rear, but now im thinking the front ones go once more around to the tweeters.. that might be lowering the impedance and putting a lower on the amp. bywiring them parallel i assumed they would lower to 2 ohm, the speakers being 4 ohm, and the amp is two ohm stable. thanks

Dang you, I had conivnced my self not to amp my speakers just because it would be too hard to run the wires, but now.... i don't know what to do now...

trust me, is a HELL of a lot more different with amp powering speakers inside head unit... maybe it jus seems to me cus my head unit is a JVC kameleon... o well, im telling you it sounds good... hehehe convincing you now? its worth the work...

That sounds similar to what I didn only I didnt have rear speakers so I just connected the right rear speaker to the front right speaker leads behind the h/u and did the same with the left side and then just ran short speaker wire leads to the wires for the rear speakers in the trunk and voila!!!! I had my front speakers amped simple as that leaving nothing connected to the h/u. Hehe sorry I had to take your idea but I did it when I first got my premier amp for my components about a month or so ago.

sorry to say people have been reverse wiring interior speaker amps for a long time. Just run speaker wire for the frnt and rear from the amp to the back speaker hook the front lead up to factory wiring and the rear lead directly to the speaker and then wire the rear speaker lead to the front speaker lead by the head unit.

Now running them parallel is something I haven't done before.... you could even add an Lpad or large variable resistor in series on the rear speakers and give yourself a fade cotrol. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

yup, well it worked for me, havent had problems since... except my right front 6x9 broke its (rubber thing, dunno what its called) one time i played it really loud and the amp that it was hooked up to, crossover wasnt set on high pass. maybe its prolly cus its a **** speaker (soundstream). for inside speakers, what would you recommend? (to play highs only)

the only flaw i can see in this setup is this: your factory wiring is probably not going to carry as powerful of a signal as some nice, new wire would. i could be wrong, but depending on your car, this method would be robbing you of quite a bit of power. and just like everything else we do in car audio, you wouldn't notice the difference in sound until you tried it both ways.

abe m.

yea that makes sense... is it difficult to rewire the speakers? ive taken door panels off, and practically the whole back of the car... i didn't take the time to look for the factory wires, and where thye go... anybody thats totally rewired theyr car know how difficult it is? it probably depends on the car, i have a small sedan infiniti g20. if it really makes that much diffrence, ill prolly do it this weekend... yea ill end up doing it anyways because i dunno if its bypassing the factory amp.. nother quick question, what size wire should i use for inside 4 ohm 250 watt max speakers (power acoustiks). thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.