anyone ever done an install in a PETERBILT?

i had one come to the shop today installing a alpine 9884 xm adapter and ipod cable but cant find anywhere to get a wire harness so looking at hardwiring it anyont know wat the second plug with 3 wires in it goes to one wire blue(prob remote for the amp) 1 wire white with blue strip 1 wire white with orange letter

the semi is a 2003 peterbuilt 379

any help be apprecites cant seem to find radio scematics anywhere

i had one come to the shop today installing a alpine 9884 xm adapter and ipod cable but cant find anywhere to get a wire harness so looking at hardwiring it anyont know wat the second plug with 3 wires in it goes to one wire blue(prob remote for the amp) 1 wire white with blue strip 1 wire white with orange letter

call a peterbilt dealer they should have them

i did call 3 today they have all but the radio due to large variety of units that go into these trucks a dmm aint gonna tell me where the wire goes all speaker colors are marked by normal colors

i did call 3 today they have all but the radio due to large variety of units that go into these trucks a dmm aint gonna tell me where the wire goes all speaker colors are marked by normal colors
i used to have a 379 along time ago. if i was there in person i could tell ya if i was looking at it. most of the petes should already be equipped with the aftermarket harness and head units.

You should look into hooked on phonics first.

"i had one come to the shop today".....

Shouldnt a shop know all this?

Use a dmm. ( That an abviviation for Digital multi meter. )

May want to check 12volt.com as well. they have alot of wiring diagrams, but i think you got to pay, or join, idk, I use a dmm when in doubt, or run new.

Well things to look at and think about while doing the install

1. what doesnt work without that harness connected and the aftermarket radio connected. (i doubt it will throw any codes in an 03)

2. If something isnt working such as am or fm reception or no sound or the like plug the factory radio back in and meter these wires with the radio plugged in to see what the radio does if anything for these wires while it is connected

3. turn on the lights and check for dimmer

4. if it has steering wheel controls meter for that too (wire status will change to some degree when a steering wheel button is pressed.

9 out of 10 times these things will get you through the hardwire without needing any help. And these are common troubleshooting practices that a shop should know to do off the top.

"i had one come to the shop today".....
Shouldnt a shop know all this?

Use a dmm. ( That an abviviation for Digital multi meter. )

May want to check 12volt.com as well. they have alot of wiring diagrams, but i think you got to pay, or join, idk, I use a dmm when in doubt, or run new.
If you ever pulled a Pete's dash apart you would be in awe, every single wire in my old one was white. Yes all wires were white, no other colors period and there were litterally hundreds of them. I have no idea how they put these trucks together from the factory without have color codes and what not.

If you ever pulled a Pete's dash apart you would be in awe, every single wire in my old one was white. Yes all wires were white, no other colors period and there were litterally hundreds of them. I have no idea how they put these trucks together from the factory without have color codes and what not.
We used to own a 1997 Pete 379 and all the wires behind the dash where different colors. That much be something they did once they changed the interior in I think 2001. And I do believe in 2003 or 2005 they went to CANBUS, which would probably explain all the wires being white. If you have any quesitons about installing a radio, call up 4 State Trucks in Joplin, MO. They are the guys that do Trick My Truck, and have installed an aftermarket headunit in all the trucks they've worked on.

Here's a link to their site. http://4statetrucks.com/index.aspx

Or you can go to Largecarmag.com which is a very useful forum on getting information about trucks.

I hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.