Anyone ever just glad to be finished?

plyhammer
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ohio
I finished my first install this weekend and I have to say that I am just glad to have it done. Built the box myself, it ended up having a little too much airspace for my two aw1000's but I will live with it. A couple of things came up. 1. my four channel amp for the door speakers has what I believe is a blown channel? I can hear the right sides but no the left. Need to mess around with it I guess. It has a light for the rear and a light for the front channels and only one light comes on so.... Bought it used so I guess I will wait a while and try something else. I did put in a voltmeter over the tranny hump down below my drink hoder and this is really cool. I have a 2000 watt amp and haven't really been able to get the volt meter to drop at all. I can get it to go from 14.0 down to 13.8 but I really thought by the way people were talking that I would go down a huge amount in so that I may need to get a new alt or cap? I am guessing that I don't have it "tuned" correctly at the amp. It has a nice low bass to it but does not get very loud at all. In case anyone cares it is an audiobahn 1500 amp and the subs are a little overpowered because the do 600 rms a piece so I am trying to be careful. Not quite sure how to get the sub to hit harder, will take any suggestions. It was a very rewarding weekend to put that much work into it and it being my very first attempt at anything. I live in the sticks and don't get to hear any real systems and it is neat to figure out how poorly stock systems sound now that I have this in. Sorry I don't have any pics but thought I would just throw this out to the cosmos to anyone who would read it. thanks

I get to that point on every install I do! Congrats on your 1st one. Get some pics, and be proud of what you did! I am going to be posting pics of my new setup soon, check them out!

it doesn't seem like I've ever be done. Everytime I install a new component, another one needs to be replaced. Now that i installed my new sub amp, I need some new subs + enclosure. Now my fuses are blowing left and right, so I need to upgrade to a 4awg power kit. Then I need to upgrade the "magic 3" wires. Then I have to wire up the mids/highs amp. Then I'm going to need to buy all the lil distribution blocks, rca's, etc.. for that. Then I'm going to need new speakers all around the truck. OH MY GOODNESS, this is driving me crazy. New alternator and battery. !!!!!!

Ok, after two days of driving I need to figure out why the subs aren't hitting hard enough. I think that I need to figure out how to set all of the switches and knobs. Any insight? It has the all kinds of filters and bass boosts and such. Has the subsonic filter. It is a model 1500hcx or something like that? I tried to download the manual off of audiobahninc website but can't get it. Thanks for the help. Also, since one channel of the speaker amp is blown can I use the good channel and Y the pair into that?

Ok, I tuned the sub amp to nice levels over my lunch break. WOW. This is great. I now have to take a look at the speaker amp. three of the speakers are playing well but the fourth one (drivers side door) I can barely hear. The hu has not been touched so it isn't a case of front rear or left right adjustments. I switched the four inputs at the amp and in any different configuration the front door speaker is the one that doesn't play well. The amp has two lights on it for each channel. One light is out however THREE speakers are hitting therefore I beleive that the light being out cant be a blown channel or it would have taken out two speakers right? Any ideas on this last part. Once this is figured out I will have my system done, completed, put back together and all I have to do is sit and soak it all in. ps. I knocked the rear view mirror off at lunch :smile: The subs were excurting into the carpet. duh, I needed to raise the box (downfiring). all good. thanks

Worked on it a little tonight. Still don't get it. All the talk about caps, and extra alt. My volt meter (even when hitting what I consider hard) only drops a couple of tenths on the hard bass hits. Still running around 13.8 or so? Should my subs be louder still? The amp is 2000 x1 @1 ohm and the subs take 1200 rms per pair 2400 max?. Lots of little things to keep me keepin on.

Alright. I found the wire, that I drilled through in the door sill and now have all 4 speakers going good. I tuned the amp and all is well. I have a little ground loop noise that I need to take care of this weekend but I have to say WoW. I only have a pair of 10's and it hurts! I don't know how you guys can stand the big stuff. I was nearly deaf for a couple of hours tonight. Neat stuff. The box as stated earlier is a downfire box that is snug underneath the back seat of my dodge ram. I still had good voltage readings on the volt meter so I couldn't figure out if there was a lot left then realized when I got home that my lights did dim a little. I think my job here is finished. Thank you all for the help and direction in this project. You may not have answered my question directly but through all of the helpful insight on this board I have accomplished a very fun and rewarding project. thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.