Anyone upgrade a Ram alpine 900w stereo?

chillin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Just picked up a 2020 rebel with the factory alpine 900w system in it. Compared to the 1500w self installed stereo in my last vehicle, it's quite lacking. Especially the sub.

Eventually, I'll upgrade the whole thing, but for now, it needs a bit more bass. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows how much power the sub is getting in the stock system and if they roll off the bottom at all. As I don't have the time to run wires, loc's, etc right now I'm thinking of just hooking up a ported 10 to the power that's already running to the sub they have behind the seat.

Thoughts?

But then I'm running power wire and an amp, which is already there. And I don't really feel like doing that now. Next year I'll do a proper upgrade, with new speakers, amps and subs.

But then I'm running power wire and an amp, which is already there. And I don't really feel like doing that now. Next year I'll do a proper upgrade, with new speakers, amps and subs.
Ah my bad didn't see where you were waiting to do that. Honestly it would probably not be worth getting a different subwoofer to replace the stock one without switching out amps. There is limited information on the technical specs for the components go. I've seen claims that the subwoofer amp is 100 watts or up to 500 watts. I cannot find anything on the impedance rating and the amp is likely rated for "max power" not RMS output anyways.

If you are looking to get higher output, you'd might as well wait till you can get that ported 10 inch. Any 8 inch in a sealed box that small is not going to have any meaningful oomph below like 50hz. Furthermore, factory amp and EQ is set up for the factory speakers and subwoofer and adding a different subwoofer with the pre set factory settings will make it sound completely different, especially considering that factory systems are tuned to have a huge amount of midbass cauze its easier to get louder with less cone area and power in that frequency range. The subwoofer likely has very soft suspension and a paper cone or similarly light weight material making it more efficient at the cost of power handling and low end extension

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...