bass boost = BAD?

allyourblood
10+ year member

kill the fakes
most people seem to fall into two camps: those who use their "bass boost" function very sparingly, if at all. then, there are those who have their BB turned all the way up.

what gives? i read another thread in which Jmac was explaining how the dang thing works, but i'm still not wrapping my brain around it. i've got mine sitting at about the halfway point. i turn it up, and obviously, my bass frequencies are more pronounced. why would this be bad? should i turn mine down? it doesn't seem to be doing any harm, but what the heck do i know? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

abe m.

what i gather about bass boost is it is not a volume control just adjust bass in your subs. i herd that you loose db's when you turn up the bass plus you are at more risk to start clipping your subs. this is just my theory i have no idea if it's right or not

Bass boost is not going to make you system's max volume increase. It is merely an EQ band. Remember that for every 3dB increase in volume your need twice the power. If your amp is already making as much power as it can with the bass boost off, adding boost will ask the amp to make more power than it is able, and drive it into clipping. If the boost is used at low volumes it may not have any negeative consequences. Same if the gains are set with the bass boost on, but if you set your gain to get max power out of the amp with the boost off, and then add bass boost, the amp will clip before the HU volume reaches it's max. If you don't turn the volume up that high, then boost isn't that big a deal. If you do turn the volume way up regularly, then you need to account for the bass boost when you set your gains if you plan on using it.

With my bass boost up I noticed more bass at lower volumes and more distortion at higher ones. I like to be able to turn my HU most the way up w/o distortion so I set mine off. But if your one of those people who like just to hear the bass this feater may come in handy.

Bass boost is not going to make you system's max volume increase. It is merely an EQ band. Remember that for every 3dB increase in volume your need twice the power. If your amp is already making as much power as it can with the bass boost off, adding boost will ask the amp to make more power than it is able, and drive it into clipping. If the boost is used at low volumes it may not have any negeative consequences. Same if the gains are set with the bass boost on, but if you set your gain to get max power out of the amp with the boost off, and then add bass boost, the amp will clip before the HU volume reaches it's max. If you don't turn the volume up that high, then boost isn't that big a deal. If you do turn the volume way up regularly, then you need to account for the bass boost when you set your gains if you plan on using it.
Man, you should be the new moderator.....

yeah, zero bass boost for me. Also, the bass on my HU is on zero. For better SQ and less distortion...especially if u use all component amplifiers as opposed to the HU's internal amp...zero out ur HU. The treble/mid/bass should be at zero. Then adjust your gains from there. You will find that you will be able to turn the volume up more and it will still sound prefectly amazing, no distortion is gains are set correctly. peace

NG

yeah on my HU I tryed differen't settings but the one I liked the most when all the frequincy bands where set to zero.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.