Best Class Amplifier for subwoofer (SQ)

Aditya Mohammad

CarAudio.com Newbie
hello, i use Crescendo Revolution 710 Subwoofer 10" (300 - 500 watts) (4ohm)

what amplifier is right for my subwoofer?

Class D or Class A/B for Sound Quality ?

i have a choice :
  • Amplifier Crescendo Revolution 5A1 (class ab 450 watts 4 ohm)
  • Amplifier Crescendo Revolution 3A1 (class D 400 watts 4 ohm)
  • Audison SR 1500 (class D 500 watts 4 ohm)
  • Audison AF M1D (class D 600 watts 4 ohm)
  • Mosconi Gladen Pro 1 10 (class D 525 watts 4 ohm)

Is there a big difference in sound when using class AB and class D amplifiers with same watts ?

Is there a big difference in sound when using class AB and class D amplifiers with same watts
I have heard many claim that Class D is just as good sonically as Class a/b. From experience I prefer Class a/b; Class D sounds "softer or rounded" as opposed to Class a/b sounding "punchy or sharper". I attribute this to preferring a higher low pass frequency on the sub stage. I like my subs to overlap quite a bit with the front stage.
IMO if your goal is SQ, then it will be easier to achieve with Class a/b.

And yet Richard Clark still has his 10 grand.

And yet Richard Clark still has his 10 grand.

So the test parameters literally require that you tune down or tune up whichever topology you are claiming. I am talking about taking my Class a/b or my Class D and tuning them to how I always tune them. No tricks , gimmicks, or hate to either. Just the excitement of getting them to sound to the best that I can. That, is where I can tell the difference in sound.
--From the test parameters--
5. That all amplifiers with signal processors have those circuits bypassed. This includes bass boost circuits, filters, etc. If frequency tailoring circuits cannot be completely bypassed an equalizer will be inserted in the signal path of one (only one and the listener can decide which) of the amps to compensate for the difference. Compensation will also be made for input and output loading that affects frequency response. Since we are only listening for differences in the sonic signature of circuit topology, the addition of an EQ in one signal path only should make the test even easier.

So the test parameters literally require that you tune down or tune up whichever topology you are claiming.
Gain match and EQ match if needed. Seems reasonable enough otherwise you just crank the bass boost on one of them and you'd easily tell the difference or compare a 50x2 to a 150x2 where you could obviously hear the difference.

Ive run some big old school class A/B like rockford and JL slash series. After moving to decent quality class D amps, cant really tell the difference. At least to my ear

Gain match and EQ match if needed. Seems reasonable enough otherwise you just crank the bass boost on one of them and you'd easily tell the difference or compare a 50x2 to a 150x2 where you could obviously hear the difference.
If frequency tailoring circuits cannot be completely bypassed an equalizer will be inserted in the signal path of one (only one and the listener can decide which) of the amps to compensate for the difference

If a circuit is undefeatable, that means it has no buttons, switches, or POTs. Does that not mean the output is the natural playback of said topology?
Now, I do not have experience in comparing these for full range. I have used only 1 Class D amplifier for the full range stage. It sounded pretty good and I was surprised when I realized it was Class D; but when it comes to subwoofer use, I can hear a difference.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...