Calculating True RMS output!!!

Dozer
10+ year member

I just recently purchaced a planet audio p850d mono amp!!! It was refurbished by planet audio and although I am happy with the looks I am unsure of its power output!

My question how can I find the true rms output of this amp??? It says it puts out 600w rms at 2ohms and 850w at 1ohm....

I have to find out within a couple of weeks in order to send it back if it doesn't put out what it says it does. One local car audio shop guy tested it on his bench and said he thought it may not be putting out even close to what it is supposed to.....but he also said he doesn't have the equipment to test true rms!!!! SO I am concerned I may have a dud........

Is calculating true rms output really that hard??? Do you need expensive equipment to find it??

Can anyone out there help me? I really want to find out if the amp is legit or not. HELP!!!!!

What do I need to figure this out? Can I figure it out without equipment cositng thousands of dollers??

Thanks to anyone.....any info and feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

first of all what kind of load do you have on the amp? what's hooked up to it? how did you set the gain?

if you listen to a few systems you can get an idea of whether or not it's putting out some decent power.

Well I am running an audiobahn bandpass ABP10 (yeah yeah...I know they ****) I have the subs in parallel so it is a 2 ohm load on the amp....that should be 600w rms......but sure does'nt seem like it....

I hooked my planet amp up to my friends sub that rocks his car off just one mtx 250w mono......and my amp made the sub sound like crap.....it was wired for a 4 ohm load at the amp which is 350 watts rms .....supposedly!!!....it moved it allright but gave it a "farting" sound and didn't get loud at all!!! I think I may have a dud....**** those refurbed amps!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.