can coaxials take a 2ohm load?

it doesn't matter what impedance the speakers provide...the amp just has to support it. it can be anything as long as the amp is "x" stable where x is a number less than or equal to speaker's impedance "z"

Well do you think that I would be safe running 75rms to a coaxial that is rated for only 40rms if I turn the gain down halfway or so? Then I wouldn't have to mess with different wiring options.

CDT CL-6X 6.5s

On their site they say they are rated for 80 watts RMS but when I got the speakers I guess they are only rated for 80rms as a pair.

How did you come with 80 rms for the pair? Does it show on the speaker that they are 2 ohms?

According to their site the specs are

Model: CL-6X (Slim Coaxial)

Midrange: 6"

Mounting depth: 2.25"

Crossover: 6 dB.

Tweeter: Angle mount .75" metal dome

tweeter for perfect imaging

Power handling: 80 watt

Frequency response: 60Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity: 92 dB.

Impedance: 4 Ohm

Do you have a manual that comes with the coaxials?

I would think they are 80 rms at 4 ohms.

I thought from the site that they would be 80rms per speaker. But on the back of each speaker it reads 40w nominal.
It could be that the RMS rating is 40 watts and the max is 80 watts. Just a guess. But if you ran those both off one channel that would be a mono load and you would lose alot of clarity not to mention you'd lose your stereo image. So I'd advise against that. Just run them in stereo and keep the gain down far enough or choose a different pair of speakers that can handle more.

Adam

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.