Capacitor Input

Poundin'Metal
10+ year member

Young Buck
cali
Soooo, I can't get an upgraded alt -- 90 amps is max for my car. I have emailed a few places and called alot more -- dead, dead, dead.

Soooo, I may try a cap -- a big cap.

Tell me what you think:

2 L7's

MTX 1501D -- 1500 watts RMS at 2 ohms

I see these 40 and 50 farad caps -- what is the difference between the brands.

This is what I am looking at:

Pyle Eternal 50 Fard Digital Capacitor Bank PLCAPE500 -- $250

I know pyle is junk... but???

Lanzar 50 FARAD 16V Amp Style Hybrid Capacitor -- $230

I know... Lanzar is junk too

Rockford Fosgate 25 Farad cap -- $350

I would prefer to pay closer to $200.

If I put one of these with a yellow top, should I be okay.

Recommendations please???

hey, Poundin'.. you put these up for sale yesterday, but it looks like you're asking for install tips? are you selling these, or keeping them? and if you're selling them, why'd you ask this?

abe m.

Look into Xstatic, they make Batcaps which are the best form of capacitance ive used as of yet. Expensive but for what you get, the price difference is more cost effective and its literally more effective than a 1 farad cap. Stinger, phoenix gold, fosgate, monster all make good caps though.

Ebay keyword:batcap

I did put it up for sale -- and if someone wants to buy -- it is gone. However -- since everything is new, I am not looking to really take a loss on the sale. The main reason I want to sell is because I am having trouble powering it. If I can't sell it, then I need to run it right??? Soooo, if I don't get any interest this week, I'll buy a cap and a yellow top next week. Being a new guy, I never considered that my car would have a prob powering the set up. If it sells, I will put in something smaller and still go with a cap and a yellow top.

Soooo' date=' if I don't get any interest this week, I'll buy a cap and a yellow top next week. Being a new guy, I never considered that my car would have a prob powering the set up. If it sells, I will put in something smaller and still go with a cap and a yellow top.[/quote']
roger that. yeah, the power thing can be a real onion in the ointment. just out of curiosity, what "jams" are you looking to "kick out" with your setup? rock, rap, zydeco, etc..?

abe m.

Mainly heavy stuff -- Slipknot, RZob Zombie, Mudvayne, Nothingface, Spineshank, Static X. Might throw in some Sublime or some old school hip hop on occasion. Gotta love Classic Rock too.

wow, you were gonna throw a lot of bass at that stuff (not that it wouldn't make use of it)! if your current setup falls thru, you could still tear your car in half with one or two 12"s, without that much power. my car can play rock super-tight and i can't even sit in the dang thing when it's up loud. i'm only running 660w total. don't be too bummed if you have to go with less. you can still stomp.

also, if you get a chance, check out a band called Space Monkeez. you might like 'em, and they'll give your system a w o r k o u t.

abe m.

If I can not get stuff to work right, I am hoping to at least get rid of it... got a couple of ads running, and I will list it at the local community college. May try ebay as a last resort. If all else fails, I will probably shoot down to 1 JL 12W7 and 800 to 1000 watts -- see how that does.

Boy this sux!!! Whatever happens, I do not plan on ending up on the side of the road with a burned up alt or dead battery cause I was stupid, ya know what I mean???

Mainly heavy stuff -- Slipknot' date=' RZob Zombie, Mudvayne, Nothingface, Spineshank, Static X. Might throw in some Sublime or some old school hip hop on occasion. Gotta love Classic Rock too.[/quote']
Good music, most of it anyway. Unfortunately crankin those kind of tunes require alot of current.....which of course is your dilemma. What kind of car is this by the way.?

Adam

It is in a 1997 VW Jetta GT. I think that I will think about the system before I buy my next car. If I can not upgrade the alt, I don't want to buy it. I have been looking at the Suburu WRX... we'll see!!!

It is in a 1997 VW Jetta GT. I think that I will think about the system before I buy my next car. If I can not upgrade the alt' date=' I don't want to buy it. I have been looking at the Suburu WRX... we'll see!!![/quote']
I hear you man........last time I bought a new car I was more or less shopping for a new car for my system........not the other way around.

adam

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.