Clipping questions (alpine)

Participant count
  • Participant list

papito
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
FL
I heard that if you add an amp to your system, you can crank your system and not clip if the gains are set right....

I also heard that its not true and that most decks cant even go past volume 22 w/o clipping....but that doesnt make sence why would the manufacture even put it up to 35 to being with than?

?? It's all about how you set your gains. The proper way to do it I believe is using an oscillator and multimeter. But the easiest way to do it, with good results it turn your headunit to 70% of its max volume, in Alpines case - 25, then slightly turn up the gain until you hear distortion and then back the gain down a little to where you have smooth crisp sound at volume 25.

I've seen tests by guys on other websites that some (4v) older Alpine HU's dont clip even at full volume.

In fact in the late 90's Alpine's own ads were touting non clipping output if I remember correctly.

Not sure about the units made in the last few years, especially since their top of the line HU's have fewer features built in every year.

Yeah I never tested it but I think alpines and eclipses both do not clip at full volume. especially the rca signal. given you dont have the eq all maxed out and stuff. Id say keep the sub around 10 and volume at 30 max for an alpine and you will be fine thats what I always did. the actual rca voltage at that level is about 2v ona 4v alpine. so not clipping

my uncle has has a newer alpine i believe its a 9883 and it clips anywhere after 25 on louder cds. i on the other hand have a older 9805 and i was just listening to korn's another brick in the wall at 35 when i left to get a beer about 10 minutes ago. no clipping just pure loud clean sound. fyi that bass line is awesome!! *edit* my bass is at -1@200hz and trble is at +1@15khz. mx is turned off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.