Competed SPL yesterday and got 1st :-\

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
So we had a show here yesterday, hosted by FCBC(Ed & Minde Ramos for the MECA, IASCA, etc guys that know them). I competed for the first time since like 2012 or 2013. I actually 1st in my Class but my setup didnt meter worth a ****. Its the worst numbers i have done in the last 6 years but its actually about exactly what i said it would do before i went into the lanes.

For the people unfamiliar with the format. The classes are made up using cone area and for Street and Mod(200 st/md max class, 288 st/md max class, 450 st/md max class, 900 st/md max class, Unlimited Street, Unlimited Mod, & Open. Then you have the trunk classes which are the same but in the trunk). Format is 3 round average on music only(no burps or test tones) 15 second 1st round, 30 second 2nd round, 45 second 3rd round. Floor, Window/Dash, & Headrest, then scores are averaged to give your overall score.

But again i competed and got first. I only did a 142 average smh, though i did have some issues leading up to my run(always gota have issues). Also my box isnt ideal for a SUV with the subs and port firing up and i had it pushed towards the middle because back towards the hatch appeared to be noticably less output.

I am planning to do a rebuild of the enclosure and planning to go sub up port back. Kia hatch is small but with a slot port it can happen. I will still be running my Soundstream 3kw @ .7 on this.

Im looking for ideas on the box. I know BUCK was giving me ideas saying aim for 4 - 4.5 cubes net and probably 80 sq inches of port, im hoping he jumps in on this also lol. Im wondering should i aim at the 4.5 cubes side due to my power and the box would be a little more efficient. Im wired to .7ohm but after rise and voltage drop the sub is probably only seeing 1000-1200(just a assumption), and the Death Penalty 15 is rated at 2000 rms. Im not really trying to Win comps but like to have it meter decent when i hit the occasional one. Its my daily driver, i tune around 36hz because that where i like it. Its plays low enough for me while still usally keeping the higher notes pretty strong for spl.

But sorry for the rant, what do you guys think?
@Buck;

I think I still stand by what I've said. For SPL, put your port generally on the opposite side of where you get metered. There's a sweet spot with firing the port rearwards, so get the distance "tuned".

I think I still stand by what I've said. For SPL, put your port generally on the opposite side of where you get metered. There's a sweet spot with firing the port rearwards, so get the distance "tuned".
yea im working on that, but trying to research what a ideal enclosure size net would be the for subs thats not the "generic" specs, like the 3 -5 cubes net and 80 - 100 square inches of port. I will say i dont see alot of info for the Death Penaltys.

i seen one on SSA that said to do 5 cubes net and tune to 29hz? The guy had a Sundown 3k. But i dont know how well that would work out for me

i was thinking like 4.5 net with 73.31 square inches which is 16.25 per cube

if that was an average on music that's really not bad.
it is to me because ive done better before lol.... I know it can be, just think the orientation was terrible plus i have not had the chance to do any upgrades(big 3 etc).

how much space you have? it looks like it is kinda small back there..
it is kind of small back there but it can be done. it lacks on depth from hatch to back seat but i can make up some from length and height. I have been told do 4.5 - 5 cubes

I would recommend playing Sade "Pearls" as your song. You need to bump up your EQ on the bass to get the bass notes loud enough, but it has very low tones that are near constant. I blew up my alternator once playing the song.

Give it a listen to and let me know what you think.

I would recommend playing Sade "Pearls" as your song. You need to bump up your EQ on the bass to get the bass notes loud enough, but it has very low tones that are near constant. I blew up my alternator once playing the song.

Bruh

just an award shape. ill bet firing up does better if you can keep it low profile. your gonna have to try it out..
its actually no weird shape at all. Its just like any other suv shape just smaller. It sounded decent firing up just metered ****** lol. I can fit 4.5 - 5 cube net box in there and still have room between port and hatch.

I even moved it back to the hatch firing up like others do and it didnt do to well. I figure at this point my best bet is to get the box size right and get the right amount of port to go with it. Go sub up port back

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

i said the same thing

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

??????

guess you've never experienced real bass culture music... that song doesnt even get low. Lowest it gets is 32hz but the song peaks at 41hz and its at -28db recording levels. Absolutely awful song for bass demos and bass race. If you even touch any type of bass boost AKA bass EQ, you are doing everything wrong.

try these two classices for size

[video=youtube;OOI_3k-oEQA]

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.