Component Speaker Help

elballz12
10+ year member

Trying to decide which component speakers to get. The Alpine SPR-60C rated at 110 rms per speaker or the Infinity Kappa 60.9cs rated at 90 rms per speaker. They will hooked up to a four channel amp along with some Alpine SPR-60 or Infinity Kappa 652.9i The reason i have decided between these cause I have listen to both at my local shop and they were the only two i liked. Just wanting your input

I like Type-R much more than Kappa. my $0.02

Alpine sources Tymphany to build their speakers. I like Tymphany products in general. Good quality control and manufacturing methods result in consistent products.

I like that Alpines are easily bi-ampable. This means if you want to try quasi-active setup with them, you don't need an active crossover.

I also like the sound and looks of the Alpines over the Kappa's. They sound more clean and flat to me, more low end. Kappas are too harsh and too much midrange 'squak'.

Alpine, JL, Rockford, ArcAudio, MB Quart, are all putting out pretty good amps.

Alpine does make some really clean amps. I recently demo'd their PDX line of amps and was very impressed. JL Audio also makes an HD series of amps that I actually like slightly more. Both models are pretty expensive.

Check sonicelectronix.com and woofersetc.com for prices.

you can bridge an amp for it's entire life and have no issues. bridging is a similar electrical load as running 2 ohm stereo. both are fine for the amp.

i usually recommend bridging a 4 channel amp to front speakers. that way you can buy an affordable 50Wx4 amp and bridge for 200Wx2. granted, you'll never want to use the full 200W, but that is good - so you have plenty of headroom and lower distortion.

I personally don't like bridging all 4 channels on a 4-channel amplifier. Bridged runs considerably hotter, unless you have an amplifier with large heat sink and/or forced cooling. Since efficiency drops, not only the amp runs hotter, but the draw of the electric current increases. My personal preference among the 4-channels is with the newer generation of Class D amplifiers, such as Kenwood Excelon, PPI Phantom, and Alpine PDX. Sure, they're more expensive, but you get honest +100watts into 4ohm loads, very compact case, and decent efficiency (+80%).

However, if you need only two high powered channels, might as well look into 2-channel amps. Parts express sells a 2-channel amplifier rated for 2x150watts for only $99.

Aura RPM2300 RPM Stage 2 Mobile Amplifier 2x150W 269-189

This offer will not last long I am sure..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.