Components or Coaxials for a Jeep?

HandsumAssassin
10+ year member

Up until recently, I had been set on getting 5.25" and 6.5" JL VR or Infinity Kappa coaxials for my Jeep (6.5's in the soundbar, 5.25's in floor pods) and powering them with a 4-channel amp. It was suggested to me that I should look into components and a 2-channel amp instead. I have heard a set of Diamond S600s and I LOVED them.

If I went with those, I'd get just one set of them instead of 6.5" AND 5.25" components (that would be a little pricey)... would 1 set of Diamond S600s components sound better overall than 4 JL VR or Infinity Kappa coaxials?!?! I am primarily concerned with a possible lack of highs with 2 tweeters instead of 4 that I would have if I went with the coaxials.

Also, I realize that I'd be sending the Diamonds alot more power than the coaxials (100+ x2 RMS instead of 50-60 x4 RMS). Would the overhead soundbar be a sufficient enclosure for speakers with that sort of power going to them? If I went with the Diamonds, would I be better off having some custom floor enclosures made for the mids and mounting only the tweeters in the soundbar?

BTW, some of you might remember from the sub forum that I was wanting to get 1 12" Perfect for my Jeep and sending it 200RMS. Well, I've been pursuaded into getting 1 12" ED O and sending it a 2ohm load of 500RMS. Perhaps that will help you advise me on whether to choose the coaxials or the components.

Cheers and many thanks

Larsen

Okay here we go again. I would go with the 5.25's and the 6.5's both so you could hear the music better in your jeep. Also with the speakers you are looking at 50-60x4 will be plenty to make them sound good. I don't like to keep bringing this up but a friend of mine has MB quart 4" component in his dash stock location and MB quart 5.25's in the sound bar and his mids and highs are unbelievable off a ppi amp. The diamonds would sound excellent but might not be able to keep up with the road noise and wind noise in the jeep. I am not real familair with the diamond speakers but the JL VR are good crisp sounding speaker and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Okay here we go again. I would go with the 5.25's and the 6.5's both so you could hear the music better in your jeep. Also with the speakers you are looking at 50-60x4 will be plenty to make them sound good. I don't like to keep bringing this up but a friend of mine has MB quart 4" component in his dash stock location and MB quart 5.25's in the sound bar and his mids and highs are unbelievable off a ppi amp. The diamonds would sound excellent but might not be able to keep up with the road noise and wind noise in the jeep. I am not real familair with the diamond speakers but the JL VR are good crisp sounding speaker and you shouldn't be disappointed.
I agree with him. Those diamonds sound awesome though. Look into some polk audio components, you could 2 sets for the price of the one on ebay and they sound great.

what kind of jeep is this? i have a 95 grand cherokee with 6.5's in the door and tweeters in the dash and i got set of kappas run off a us acoustics 4065 that sound excellent. only problem is the tweeter is harsh for my liking so i just backed off on the trebble and it sounds great.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.