did i fry my amp?

taintedplay
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
dallas
ok i have a aq amp and a hifonics amp off of a distroblock. in the past, niether amps would turn on, but if i wiggled the power wire to the hifonics amps they would ( i guess they both turn on or niether of em do) but this the wire between the distroblock and amp slipped, and hit the amps ground. it sparked, and melted a little bit of the wire on both wires (ground and power). i cut off the ends, tell i got good wire, and rewired it. now, i got once side of my car playing REALLY quiet, and you can feel my subs very lightly move on the sub hits, but no sound or anything. you think i fryed one or either of my amps?

yes both amps turn on. i looked at the hifonics ones and it didnt look like they were bad (the fuses) but im not sure what a bad one looks like. ill recheck the rca's

ok the rca's are right. the speakers, one side plays very low, but theres alot of midbass. should i take the cover off the amp to see if its fried? it ruins the warranty.

also, whenever i conect something it sparks, is that bad? is there a way to prevent that?

ok the rca's are right. the speakers, one side plays very low, but theres alot of midbass. should i take the cover off the amp to see if its fried? it ruins the warranty.
also, whenever i conect something it sparks, is that bad? is there a way to prevent that?
check your settings bro

U PREVENT THIS BY TAKING UR NEGATIVE ON UR BATTERY OUT.

the sparking means there's a bad connection somewhere and if one of the subs is playing a lot of midbass then check the LPF on the amp that is powering it. and check the ohm load on the speakers.

well all i changed is a sub. the hifonics amp and door speakers (which is the ones with midbass) have been there the whole time. i just moved the amp around. and disconnecting the negative would take for ever. but i guess ill start

it is possible you could have damaged the internals of the amp having to do with the rca.

couple things check setting like everyone said for temp purposes set gain to half, Low pass filter, 60hz or below, and see what you get.

also disconnect the rca from the amp buy a stereo headphone - rca and hook in an mp3 player direct to the sub amp. maybe the rca out on the headunit.

so to test this, i should get a rca to headphone jack connector, plug in my zune, and grab a single speaker, and test each channel with that one speaker to make sure all channels work?

well i think the hifonics one. and becuase of that the aq. but the spark happened on the hifonics one, and theres a fuse between the amps at the distroblock.

And the only thing that has happened is when you let the positive wire hit the ground on the Hifonics? Are the protection lights on(on either amp)?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.