Difference between vented boxes sharing space, and not?

I didn't find much when I searched on this topic, so I'll make a thread about it.

My question is about vented boxes. What kind of difference should one expect from the type that shares air space between the two speakers, such as in this example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KICKER-DUAL-10-SUBWOOFER-L5-L7-PORTED-CAR-SUB-BOX-U_W0QQitemZ130317947742QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e578e135e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

Or if they have seperate vents, such as in this example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-PORTED-SPEAKER-BOX-for-DUAL-10-Inch-KICKER-L7-SUBS_W0QQitemZ200356395889QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea62bfb71&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

I own the box in example 1, and was thinking of buying the box in example 2 just as an experiment, to see what kind of difference in sound I would get. Or would that be a waste of time & money?

Thanks in advance to any ideas/opinions/suggestions.

Separate chambers add more bracing to the enclosure. They also will help if you screw up one sub, so the other can be saved as it will not be in a enclosure bigger than it has.

Shared chamber enclosures are usually cheaper and easier to design.

Sound wise, taking in account same airspace and tuning, they will perform similarly.

Separate chambers add more bracing to the enclosure. They also will help if you screw up one sub, so the other can be saved as it will not be in a enclosure bigger than it has. 

Shared chamber enclosures are usually cheaper and easier to design.

Sound wise, taking in account same airspace and tuning, they will perform similarly.
im gona go out on a limb and say, this is not quite right.

I am going to disagree with you..
so you would disagree that 2 subs sharing a chamber while one sub is playing from the left channel of a 2 channel amp and the other is playing from the right channel is the wrong enclosure ? interesting. care to explain?

so you would disagree that 2 subs sharing a chamber while one sub is playing from the left channel of a 2 channel amp and the other is playing from the right channel is the wrong enclosure ? interesting. care to explain?
I see your logic there. I will have to agree with that, i did not think of that. If its playing in stereo then ya, i agree. But i would say that almost always the two channels are playing at the same time, BUT there are songs where only one side plays. So ya, like i said nevermind i agree haha

there is no left and right in bass. anything sub 80hz should be mono, and unless you arerunning an a/b amp not bridged (why for subs I don't know) then the signal will always be mono. Plus I like a common chamber better, because you have both subs pressuring the same chamber and same port..... less room for mistake in one box being slightly larger and the tuning being slightly off.

nope never been to a movie theater..... regardless, the only way to get true stereo separation at low frequencies you would need to wear headphones. In an open room even if you had a subwoofer on 2 opposite sides of the room your brain cannot detect where it is coming from anyways so it defeats the purpose. In a movie theater setting they have 5 to 7 discrete channels that allows them to play sounds through each speaker independently but that doesnt mean you can detect whether or not the bass is coming from the left or the right side due to its omnidirectional characteristics.

there is no left and right in bass. anything sub 80hz should be mono, and unless you arerunning an a/b amp not bridged (why for subs I don't know) then the signal will always be mono. Plus I like a common chamber better, because you have both subs pressuring the same chamber and same port..... less room for mistake in one box being slightly larger and the tuning being slightly off.
right, mono signals should be in a shared chamber, although if you make 2 seperate chambers EXACTLY the same it wouldnt matter for a mono signal. anything other than a mono signal should be in separate chambers. otherwise you risk cancellation because both subs wouldnt be playing the same EXACT note at the same EXACT time. a stereo signal doesnt discriminate at which freq. it plays.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.