Door speakers popping when amp shuts off.....

focused313
10+ year member

Learning With Every Post
Michigan
Here's my issue.

Whenever I turn off my car, or power down my head unit, my door speakers pop. This seems to be a direct result from the amplifier loosing power, as they pop exactly when the amp loses power.

What I've done:

1. Originally, due to me having a system on a factory radio, the remote turn on was still tied to the constant 12v from the cigarette lighter. I removed that issue and ran the remote turn on lead directly to the head unit. Oddly, that stopped the "popping" noise when the system gets power, but not when it loses power. Basically, instead of the speakers popping when the amp turned on or off, it now only pops when the amp turns off.

2. I also have a subwoofer amp, which I left connected to the cigarette lighter, but it's ran off a different switch. The subs do not pop at all. I took the remote wire from the sub amp and ran it to the other amp and the speakers still popped when the amp powered down, thus eliminating (in my mind) any issues with the remote wires.

3. If I remove the rca's from the input, I don't get any popping noise at all. The rear speakers, which are powered from the deck, don't pop. From what I can tell, my grounds are solid.

What steps can I take to check out the popping issue? Would a mix up in the polarity of the door speakers cause the pop?

Thanks.

I checked and you're right, it wasn't the polarity. I wonder why, when I changed the way the amps remote was connected, the turn ON pop stopped, but the one when it cuts off is still strong.

I switched the RCA's from the mids amp to the sub amp they didn't pop, so I've pretty much concluded that it's not the HU or the RCA's. All it could be is the amp or the amp ground.

I'm going to change the grounding point of my mid amp tomorrow.

You need to delay your remote amp lead....
just saying this again, my speakers do not pop when my amp powers on, just when it turns off. So with that, you'll still recommend the delay? I've read that in a few threads. I'll look for one....thanks.

A PAC TR4 will do the trick...they can be had for around $11
9046098_sa.jpg

can I tie directly into the amp's connections to wire this up?

Bought the Pac audio module and the speakers still pop when the amp cuts off. It's fine when the amp cuts on, as before. I'm going to switch out the amp and see if that's it.

pretty sure its a bad cap in the amp. i had the same problem with my us xtant when i installed it. switched back to the previous amp and no pop.

let us know if the switch fixes it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.