Drilling through carpet

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
When I install my amp rack in my Caddy I will need to drill through the trunk carpet to put nutserts into the trunk floor. Last time I did that on my Buick I found that drilling through the jute floor liner was a nightmare. The carpet fibers got twisted up in the drill bit and it took forever to get the job done. I'm wondering if you guys have come up with a clever way to do this.

I don't want to actually cut the carpet, as it would affect resale value of the car.

For drilling through the carpet itself, you can put a small X of masking tape or duct tape over the spot where you want to drill. Helps keep the carpet fibers from getting caught in the bit. I don’t have a good answer if the under lay is separate from the carpet.

I'm wondering if you guys have come up with a clever way to do this.
3 ways. 1st is to use a piece of copper or PVC tube shorter than the drill bit. Press it hard into the carpet and set the bit inside it. If you press hard enough only the material inside the tube will bind on the bit.
2nd is to use your soldering pen to burn through. The jute will not burn but you can tear a hole and use the tube trick to keep it away from the bit.
On second thought, I wonder if you can heat the copper tube and melt through the carpet.
The 3rd is to cut an X and separate the jute as you drill. If you decide to remove the wire, you can just tamp and brush the spot.

Leave the system in it when you sell it. Problem solved. You could always remove the system and put a new carpet kit in it before you sell it. If you don't do that the system will leave marks where it was.

If it were that much of a concern.. Id take the car to a professional upholstery/detail shop and have them do the holes for you and give you a warranty for the work. But, I always cut with a razor knife a little larger(1/8") and then drill slow, not fast,and no force letting the drill and a hole saw do the work.Duct tape will work most of the time. Ive used a soldering iron in the past, but cant get past the burning smell within the confined space,and lingers for quite some time

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...