electrical geniuses

jbl_marshall21
10+ year member

important person
nebraska
Of course ya are. Anyways I wonder how much power I would lose by soldering some powerwire together. Idk if u remember but I have my switch on my power wire and i'm just gonna put a switch on the remote wire now, so if u think it will be a significant amount of power loss (1 volt) then i'll go get some new power wire.

thanks, hope somebody cares and replies.

If I REALLY needed to splice a power wire I'd probably just go to the local hardware store and try to find a big copper butt connector -- crimp it - heat shrink it - and tape it with 10 layers or more.

and tape it with 10 layers or more.
Ewwwww!!!

Tape is a four letter word. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If I was really worried about making sure nothing happened to the heat shrink I might put two layers of it on but I would not use tape //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sick.gif.b1847c8dabbfeeddbcf1a78052249e10.gif You just can't rely on it to do anything other than get all gooey when it gets warm and then come undone.

10 layers????? 1 wrap is good for 600 volts ac....1 is enough over heat shrink....

if a joint is done properly, you should see no voltage drop. voltage drop is really only dependant on the length of the wire. you may lower the ampacity if done badly, but if it's done with a big setscrew or crimp type connector you will see no losses of anykind.

If you are running power wire in a place where you have to worry about wear, you aren't doing something right. Either you should reroute it or put it in split loom or pigtail wrap loom or both loom it and reroute it. If it will wear through the heatshrink, it will eventually wear through the wire jacket.

I've seen wire get worn in locations I never expected it to. I figure better safe than sorry.

Then again - my car's 16 years old - maybe that has something to do with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.