Favorite wiring terminals

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
You guys have any favorite wiring terminals/connectors? I'm talking about butt splices and T-taps. Need to be small enough as to not be bulky when modifying wiring bundles in a factory harness.

The standard automotive crush connectors work but I don't trust them long term. I prefer the type that are "rolled" crimps (dunno the name) where the crimp is in 2 sections, the wire and the insulation. The metal tabs roll over to hold the wire. They need a special crimp tool, which I have. But size and style availability are limited.

Secondly, what to do for big wire ring terminals. No crimper is gonna handle an 8 or 4 gage wire. Hammer and anvil? Vice Grips?

Lastly, wire ferrules. I like to terminate amp power wires with a ferrule to insure maximum contact area using stranded cable. The ferrules that I see at Crutchfield say the metal is thin enough to be crushable with the amp's terminal screw. Seems to me that would require some serious torque to be applied to a delicate connector. Maybe squish them first with a bigazz pair of channel lock pliers?

Recommendations from my brethren installers, please :geek:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...