Fed up with HiFonics

THX
10+ year member

So I bought a BX1000D new off ebay to power a single ED 12A. It worked pretty good for 6 weeks but then just decided to stop working, accompanied by a nasty burning smell.

I emailed the seller on ebay but his warranty was only for 30 days and I should turn to HiFonics for help. I called them up first. Their help guy was busy so they put me through to his voice mail. I recorded down my problem, possible solutions (including me paying for it to be repaired) and left a call back number according to his directions but never received a call back.

So I went the email route and emailed the two different addresses about my problem but never got a response either. Still no response after another email.

I've given up. I'm going with Phoenix Gold next time. If that's how they handle things I shudder to think how long it would have taken if I sent it in to be repaired.

It's nice to have good prices on your amps but even better to have decent customer support. :thumbsdow

no comment to the junior member except ...... do u know how many people have struggled to get magnums and edAs and how long they have waited and what they went thru?

your amp worked fine, you blew it up, your mad b/c you dont have an instant response. im not trying to be an ass ... but if the only probs i had were the problems you are having ... id be happy

Yes I've heard the horror stories. I guess I'm just miffed that it broke so quickly. I'm not new to failing equipment.. if it lasts a year I'd be content, but go with a different brand next time. For the record I never pushed the amp, the hardest stuff I listen to is 311. But mostly it's Rufus Wainwright and news radio.

I'll count my blessings and go with the Tantrum.

no comment to the junior member except ...... do u know how many people have struggled to get magnums and edAs and how long they have waited and what they went thru?
your amp worked fine, you blew it up, your mad b/c you dont have an instant response. im not trying to be an ass ... but if the only probs i had were the problems you are having ... id be happy
Hope you have a better day tomorrow negative nancy. That susks dude, just the name Hifonics always deterred me.

i never really like the hifonics amps. i was looking intoone a few months ago when i decided on my jbl instead. they were to inexpensive to be made properly in my opinion. I remember everywhere i went:"Dude! get the Brutus theyre the best amps out!" a few weeks later i start seeing the posts :"Found a new amp to replace my fried brutus".

HiFonics... they are cheap, and do put out their rated power. Though from what I have heard they don't last that long. In car audio you pretty much get what you pay for.

Like I have been saying all along, the Brutus is a decent "budget amp" but far from top of the line. If you are on a tight budget then it is the amp to have but there is too much out there that is better.

I'm sick of seeing posts about them.

i have the same amp (bx1000d) and my hu was having a ground loop problem, so my older bro touched the ground to the neg rca and it fried somthing in the amp, its in the shop right now and my brother has to pay to get it fixed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

but i dont think its the AMPS fault, sure its a budget amp, it even says made in china, i dont know if any others are though, but i still think its a good amp for the money. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I *think* it has a problem with longevity only in 1-ohm config, which mine was. If you have 2 or more subs hopefully yours lasts longer than mine did.

I called Phoenix Gold and asked about the 1200.1 in 1-ohm. They said it can do it but I should consider getting a small fan and aiming it at the heat sinks.

I haven't had any problems with mine at all. It's been run at 1 and 2 ohms for several months now with no problems. I think people just go crazy with the bass boost and the gains.

If you don't think they are build solid check this out.

4703bx1500d_internals_2-med.JPG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.