Finally --- Almost DONE!!!

Poundin'Metal
10+ year member

Young Buck
cali
I think I am finally about through acquiring the things I need to have my car sound about how I would like. Unfortunately, I bought a bunch of stuff before I learned of this place -- soooo, I have 2 amps (RF 550S) and a sub in a box (JL W3) to get rid of -- if interested make an offer.

Annnyway, here is where I am at. I have 2 kicker L7's, 2 ohm DVC (wish I had the 4 ohm DVC) and I bought them because I planned to have (1) 550S for each sub, so I needed them to be at 4 ohms. I just bought an MTX 1501D. I think it was a good choice (Brand New for $350) because it gives me 1500 watts RMS at 2 ohms. The only other comparable one I saw was the RF 1501BD, but I did not see a big difference for the extra $150. Did I buy right???

Now, I have an alternator problem. I have a VW Jetta with a 90 amp stock alt. UI have looked EVERYWHERE for a high output alt -- online (places like extreme alternators) and in the Pittsburgh area. The ONLY thing I have found is a 120 amp alt for $300. That is still not enough and it is hardly worth it. What other options do I have to keep everything running??? Will 2 batteries help. Can a cap pick up some slack??? If so, how many farad? The inline fuse is a 150 Watt ANL.

I would also like to have another 400 watt amp to run my 4 MB Quartz components, but........ where am I gonna get the juice from.

Thanks for your input.

Well I did a search and I couldn't find any alts for your car either. First off a cap won't help your problem. A second battery will only help if you alt has the ability to charge them both, which you don't have. Try calling some shops and see if they can rebuild your alt for more power. If not then you may just have to buy the 120 amp alt, it's better then what you have now. On top of that the first thing I would do is upgrade your magic three wires (wire from alt to battery, grond from battery to ground, ground on car to new groudn on frame), then I would also get a Optima Yellow Top or some other deep cycle battery, good luck.

I dont know his email off the top of my head someone will post it up here after reading this but get ahold of Dominic Iraggi he makes some kickass alts. He should be able to help you out.

I dont know his email off the top of my head someone will post it up here after reading this but get ahold of Dominic Iraggi he makes some kickass alts. He should be able to help you out.
Anyone have this email???

I checked a couple of alternator shops today to see what they can do. I guess that I am somewhat screwed because the alt is a Bosch, and apparently they do not make anything to go above the 90 amps. Soooo, I checked into getting a different alt modified to fit my car -- there seems to be plenty of room, I imagine a mounting bracket would have to be fabricated. None of the shops were up to the task. Not sure what to do now....

As far as the MTX 1501D goes -- was it a good choice for what I am running??? If not, I have no problem getting rid of it. Don't think it will be hard when all I paid was $350.

Please give me some input/thoughts/ideas.

****... ummmm, do I need a sub sonic filter. Just dawned on me -- and I did not see that feature listed for the MTX 1500D. Sooo, now what do I need to buy???

The subs will be in a subzone box -- almost 2 cu.ft. vented and tuned to 38 hertz. Also, where would I set the low pass for this box???

Do you know if you need a beefed up alternator? I was running 3 ppi amps in my old mazda that had a stock 90 amp alternator, and it had no problems.

I dont know the size of my alternator now, but i have a Geo prizm so it must be way less amperage, and i was running a Rockford 800.2 and a ppi 2360 and no problems playing. So first see how it works out, and then see if you need an alternator. IMO

The spec for the 550S is as follows:

RMS Power

2x137Watts Power at 4 Ohms

2x275Watts Power at 2 Ohms

Bridged Power 1x550Watts

Fan CooledNo

Bass Boost0-18dB

Bass Boost Frequency45Hz

Channel Operation1/2

Harmonic Distortion0.05%

Signal-to-Noise100dB

Frequency Response20-20KHz Input/Output

Fuse Rating1x50Amp

Input Voltage---

Speaker Level InputsNo

Low-Pass Crossover Frequency50-250Hz

Low-Pass Slope24dB

High-Pass Crossover Frequency50-250Hz

High-Pass Slop24dB

Preamp Outputs1 Pair

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.