fusing tweeters

how do I determine what size fuse to place before my tweeters?

the tweeters are 85watts rms, im installing a compent set and I was told that you can place a fuse before the tweeter, so that you will blow the fuse rather than the tweeter....

do you guys feel its nessecary to fuse them?

thanks for the help

I have NEVER fused my tweeters. If you have a good crossover installed prior to the componant, and you make sure your LPF/HPF is set right there will not be a problem. Granted do not push 1000 watts to a 200 watt tweeter, or you will blow them.

Its a infinity comp. set, I am thinking about hooking it up with out a amp so it would be getting the signal from my HU which is a jvc digifine2.2, the comp. set i have had for a while now and my factory tweets are blowing in my car...so its not a normal practice to place a fuse inline with the tweets....say if a guy you are installing them for is a little happy on the volume :)...thanks for the reply also

The only thing I might think about putting inline with the tweeter is a bass blocking diode. But if you have a crossover already going to the tweeter they are already installed in the crossover. Just turn the gains down on your amp some. Most tweets are about 200 watts RMS I believe. 200 clean watts going to a tweet is really damm loud.

Are you talking Tweets, or mids (6 1/4) ?

I have not seen a fuse inline to the tweeter, but on pro audio i have seen an automotive 12 volt light bulb inline, all the light bulb will do is just pull off some of the extra wattage going to the tweeter and when you overload it the bulb blows and it keeps you from blowing the tweeter.

On a side note, where would i find some of these "super tweeters" that can handle 200 watts rms? I would like to see that.

thanks for the replys

alright so since I have a crossover then I already have a built in bass blocker for the tweets...

I am going to be running my comp. set off my HU (digifine2.2) do any of you see any trouble with doing this? thanks

thank you guys,

Say I just wanted to add this I was doing a little thinking...and here we go...also some reading :)....now then...

ok say you have someone thats a little heavy on the volume...you can place a fuse in series with the tweeter....

to find out what size tweet you need you

take the square root of the total rms/the ohm load

so a 85rms tweet sqr = 9.21/4ohms =2.3amps

what do you guys think about this ????? thanks for the comments

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.