grounding spot

ricky_05

Earth
ive been installing a jvc hu in my boat (2001 CHAPARRAL). i replaced a 2 speaker seacraft (or something like that) with 2 infinity refrence 6x9's and two refrence 6.5 in the stock locations. i rewired the new hu to the old harness but it will not turn on. (it has ounce when i hooked the battery back up but turned off half a sec later). the ground and power wire are very small could it be there not supplying enough power to turn it on? i could wire the 12 volt wire to the battery right? were could i ground it to though?

i believe i wired evrything right but im not sure about the yellow (12 volt) wire. i hooked to the same wire were the old h/u claims "fuse box" (there is no slot marked 12 volt). that wire connects to a small fuse box. do u think i could have blown the fuse? (i was so pissed leaving i didnt check) if so should i get a bigger fuse? what size?

i know i have aot of questions but plz help me out

thanks,

ricky

For the switched wire you should be able to go to the ignition switch. Just use a 12v meter and by turning the key on/off you should be able to determine which output is the switched one.

For the ground you're probably best off either going to the engine block or the battery (-). I'm sure there is a ground wire under the dashboard somewhere, but with all the gauges and accessories I think you'd be better off just running one dedicated for sound.

I put a decent sized amp in my boat using one of the bolts holding the alternator bracket to the block as the grounding point. It works great.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.