[HELP!] Different volume/quality of sound from left/right speakers.

will106106

dallas
My left side speaker/tweeter are playing louder better quality sound than my right.

Set-up; Tweeters in pillars, coax's in front doors (Both 4ohm's)

Ok so i was playing music the other day pretty loud for a while when my amp cut out(seemingly due to overheating) for a brief moment and when it came back on my right side sounded like it was missing depth in the mids and was overall quieter(by a good bit) and worse in quality.

What i have tried:

-Changed the amp, same problem

-swapped left for right speaker leads, same problem

-checked the voltage out of the RCA and the speaker outs on the amp, all matching(within 0.2)

-Checked the speaker leads that would plug in the amp, they read(after multiple reads):

Left(the 'good' side)= 4.6 ohm

Right(the 'trouble' side)=0.8 ohms

Now this is clearly where the problem lies, however i thought that a blown speaker would rise in impedance.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

ps; i am going to take the speakers out today or tommorow if anyone has some ideas of what i should look for / or do.

Thanks!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

My left side speaker/tweeter are playing louder better quality sound than my right.
Set-up; Tweeters in pillars, coax's in front doors (Both 4ohm's)

Ok so i was playing music the other day pretty loud for a while when my amp cut out(seemingly due to overheating) for a brief moment and when it came back on my right side sounded like it was missing depth in the mids and was overall quieter(by a good bit) and worse in quality.

What i have tried:

-Changed the amp, same problem

-swapped left for right speaker leads, same problem

-checked the voltage out of the RCA and the speaker outs on the amp, all matching(within 0.2)

-Checked the speaker leads that would plug in the amp, they read(after multiple reads):

Now this is clearly where the problem lies, however i thought that a blown speaker would rise in impedance.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

ps; i am going to take the speakers out today or tommorow if anyone has some ideas of what i should look for / or do.

Thanks!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
well if you tested the resistance on the speaker (which it seems like you did) the Left side is in range of a 4 ohm speaker however the right is not within range. A blown tweeter will show close to 0 or OL on a MM. so i think you already know what the issue is....

Its possible the right side was wired wrong and wired down to a lower impedance than the left side. Try testing the woofer resistance and tweeter resistance separately.

The resistances tested out fine. Even the tweeters on the woofers were tested.
so you rechecked resistance on the tweeters and they came out fine? cause your earlier post showed 1 was blown.

The two resistances that didnt match(4.6, 0.8) where from the speaker wire leads that were at the amp. The reistances at the actual speakers are fine. I redid all my connections and it persist. It isnt noticeable with a little balance at lower volumes.

Do both right/left impedence test fine at the amp now? If so, could be an intermittent short in the wire between the amp and speakers. Did u have a passenger(or maybe u) the day that the problem started that could have pushed the floor(or wherever ur wires are ran) just right as to knick a wire?

The two resistances that didnt match(4.6, 0.8) where from the speaker wire leads that were at the amp. The reistances at the actual speakers are fine. I redid all my connections and it persist. It isnt noticeable with a little balance at lower volumes.
I'd do a quick test and swap tweeters and see if the issue persists. If the issue swaps sides then we know its a speaker issue if the issue stays on the same side. Double check all the wiring from the speaker connections back...

if the resistance shows close to 0 = how does the resistance check out?
He said both the tweeter and mid were spot on resistance before the amp. At the amp is there they are funny. If thats the case my money is on a bad passive crossover or improper wiring.

He can test this theory by swapping the left and right crossovers and remeasure impedance on both sides.

He said both the tweeter and mid were spot on resistance before the amp. At the amp is there they are funny. If thats the case my money is on a bad passive crossover or improper wiring.
He can test this theory by swapping the left and right crossovers and remeasure impedance on both sides.
your right, i didnt read his post carefully. I thought he checked each tweeter and those were the resistance readings from the tweeters... my fault, check everything in between the speakers and the amps.

OP here

I think it is going to turn out to be the high passive cross over. This all happened after a good couple of sounds with a lot of mid bass. So i think either the cross over got fried(from having to filter alot?) or the bass disturbed the wiring. Will check back with results

OP here
I think it is going to turn out to be the high passive cross over. This all happened after a good couple of sounds with a lot of mid bass. So i think either the cross over got fried(from having to filter alot?) or the bass disturbed the wiring. Will check back with results
The components in a crossover can only take so much heat. If you were clipping your speakers the crossover may not have been able to handle the heat generated and failed. If thats the case your lucky it only took the crossover with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.